Rentals in 08757>Question Details

Marie, Renter in Whiting, NJ

Can a landlord ask a potential renter to pay 1st..last and security B4 renting...I though the law was clear and 11/2months security and 1w month rent.

Asked by Marie, Whiting, NJ Sun Oct 14, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 08757

Answers

6
You are correct. A landlord can ask for first month's rent and a security deposit of 1.5X the monthly rent max. Attached is the latest truth in lending booklet from the NJ Real Estate Commission. A lot of people also believe you can charge an additional deposit fee for pets, also inaccurate, the deposit can not exceed 1.5X the base rent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
PS

just to clarify - you asked if the landlord can get 1st and last month's rent AND security...........actually, yes, he can...........BUT, in that case, the amount deemed as "security" can't be more than 1/2 month rent.

The grand total of advance payments/deposits (not counting the 1st month rent) can't exceed 1.5x rent..........but it can be divided up in different ways.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
Hi Marie

Just to chime in and reiterate - you are correct...........in NJ, a landlord is only allowed to collect, at most, 1.5 month's rent in advance as a security deposit, or whatever they want to call it.............they may also get the 1st month rent in addition to that, but no other prepaid rent , pet security..... or any other kind of advanced payment is allowed if it equals more than 1.5 month's rent.

It always disappoints me when I talk to agents who don't know these laws, and many don't......

Best wishes.......
we are talking about a residential property?

is there a realtor involved?

If it is a residential property you are correct.

I have seen cases where the tenant wants to pay rent in advance to secure the property because of a credit issue.
The law is very clear. 1st months rent and security can not exceed 1 1/2 months rent. Copy and Paste the link below and it will give you a PDF file of the newest truth and renting guidelines. I hope this helps. http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_…
the security can't be more than 1.5 month's rent.......landlord can, however, also collect the 1st month's rent in advance
Flag Sun Oct 14, 2012
The total(1st month + deposit + last month, if any) cannot exceed 2 1/2 monthly rent, no matter how it structured