Rentals in 94110>Question Details

Studio, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Can Trulia do a better job weeding out fake rental home listings? On recent email alerts I've received almost all of the listings are bogus.

Asked by Studio, San Francisco, CA Thu Oct 31, 2013

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in 94110

Answers

8
I think they should step up verification this way they can qualify renters and rentees
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
I have switched to REDFIN Zillow and Trulia have too many bogus listings
I have discovered several scams on Trulia in the last month. One apt for rent was also being sold. I contacted the agent selling the property and was informed that the rental ad was a scam. Also, I've found multiple ads where the agent can't show the apt for some reason but insists that a security deposit be paid in advance to hold the apt.. You just have to be extremely cautious and perform your due diligence. Never pay any money in advance for an apt that the agent won't show. Trulia is not going to do anything to protect the consumer you have to protect yourself.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
I agree that the rental information on Trulia causes more harm than good. I realize they are trying to drive traffic to their web site but the rental information is very suspect. Unfortuanetly there is not much the real estate agents can do about it.
Of course they can.
They can weed out fake rental homes.
They can weed out fake homes for sale.
They can weed out RealtyTrac fake foreclosed homes of sale also.
OR
You can choose to use resources that are not polluted with fake rentals, sales and foreclosures.
Which you you think can happen first?
The choice is yours.
And what resources are those Annette?
Flag Fri Nov 1, 2013
You should probably contact property managers in your area. They usually do not charge the tenant. The landlord usually pays them to find the tenant.
I would bring this to the attention of Trulia. I know they try to keep everything on the up and up. But it is a public website so the potential for abuse is always there like any other website.