Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Lisa Meyers, Home Buyer in Columbus, OH

Can I rent an apartment for my child?

Asked by Lisa Meyers, Columbus, OH Fri Jul 6, 2012

My daughter is moving to LA in Sept, she will be getting a job but won't do so until she is out there, I planned on cosigning the lease and help pay for apt until she can do so on her own, but I live in another state, I will consider just signing the lease as I will be paying it if she can't, will any one rent to me? have had no takers, I own my own home and have good credit,

Help the community by answering this question:


As a landlord myself. I have had parents co-sign lease several times. Jut make sure the landlord will accept a co-sign and you and your daughter will be fine.


Neal Grusky
DRE# 01890580
Hpremiere Properties
Real Estate and Financing
10940 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1600,
LA, CA 90024 | Office:
(800) 652-1768
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 8, 2012
Flag Sun Jul 8, 2012
Hi Lisa:

Yes, it is very possible to have you co-sign for a just have to find a landlord that will work with you.

Good luck!

All the best,

Kat Becker, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 7, 2012
Hi Lisa,

What area is your daughter moving to? I manage properties in Santa Monica and all over Los Angeles. Some owners I work for are willing to work with an out of state guarantor and some just aren't. Generally if a parent has great credit, strong income, and is willing to add an additional deposit or pay rent in advance, something can be worked out.

As your daughter gets closer to her move, have her check the rental list on my website.

All the best,

Jessica M. Acker

Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
(310) 828-3132 Office
1415 Stanford St., Suite #2
Santa Monica, CA 90404
License # 01894323
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Yes Lisa you can rent an apartment for your daughter in LA. As you said you have to cosign for her and have your name on the lease . You have to fill up the rental applicatiion with your daughter and you also need to provide your credit report and your income to the landlord. I have done it for students before and they were the best tenants.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hi Lisa,

As a landlord and a Realtor I will rent to your daughter as long as you are the co-signer.
You need to find a landlord that is open to renting to your daughter with you as co-signer.

The landlord will check your credit/history background and may ask for a greater security
deposit or even pay 6 or 12 months in advance for the unit.

The only issue I see is your daughter's lack of a job. This can be overlooked with signing
a lease and paying in advance to help your daughter.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hello Lisa,
Please contact me prior to your daughters’ arrival so I can send you some rentals and make all the necessary appointments to view the units.
Best regards,
DJ Bonner
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Well we are going to have to buy sight unseen, so I would like an agent, but am worried about rates. Budget is 1000 per month. for one bedroom. Older places ok, but need to be clean, need parking and on site laundry at minimum. looking in Culvercity, Sherman Oaks, West Hollywood, NOHO, Studio city, valley villiage, West touluca lake, Silver lake, Los Feliz. Urban environs ok as long as crime isn't too bad. place where there is little gang activity. She works downtown so use to some crime, homelessness etc, but want it reasonably safe for young adult and her boyfriend
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
It all depends on your and your daughters credit and assets. But its possible. In which part of Los Angeles is she looking to rent? Some landlord are very strict on tenants screening and some are more reasonable. I'll be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have, I can be reached at 310-466-9595 or
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
You can sign the lease as a guarantor not a resident. Being out of state increases the risk slightly to the Owner but assuming you have good credit and proof of funds one will definitely take you if presented correctly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
thank you, so def doable. Do you just sell homes, or do you help find apts as well?
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer