Rentals in Riverside>Question Details

Landlordnewb…, Other/Just Looking in Riverside, CA

Can I put a mailbox on an unpermitted unit? If so, should I put a "1/2" address on it?

Asked by Landlordnewbie, Riverside, CA Tue May 25, 2010

I purchased an investment property with an unpermitted unit above. Can I out a mailbox on the front of the house with a "1/2" address on it (ie: 222 1/2 Main St)?

Answers

3
They indeed are two different issues. Only the post office can set an address. You can not just make up an address as the mail probabily wont show up. They can assign an address to you.

Having another mailbox is a redflag for a city inspector looking for unpermitted units though.....
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Putting a mailbox and permitting occupancy are two different things. You can talk with the Post Office about the address issue and mailbox/mail delivery. You will likely have to speak with the city/town/county (whomever is in charge of your zoning) about whether someone can legally live there. Living in or renting a unpermitted space could leave you open for liability should something go wrong.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 25, 2010
Agent Joseph and Agent Scott are telling it like it is. I will add that insurance companies look for this type of thing as excuses not to pay out when you need them to do so.......It is not worth the short term gain. I do not see any problem with mail being delivered and sorted when it comes in by all concerned......Good question and great answers...
Best