Rentals in 21117>Question Details

Natasha Lett,  in

Can I charge tenant for losing potential new tenants due to extreme pet odor in home?

Asked by Natasha Lett, Thu Oct 10, 2013

My tenant put in notice to move and I attempted to start showing the home at that time. I had two very interested potential renters who all left saying due to the condition of the home specifically an extreme pet urine odor they were no longer interested in the home.
Tenant is now out and I am in the process of cleaning the home however I believe this will cost me at least a month's rent.
I know I can charge for the cleaning of the pet odor however, can I deduct from the security deposit for losing the potential tenants specifically.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 21117

Answers

1
I had a client who experienced the same problem and had to replace all of the carpeting in the home after many attempts at professional cleaning and also losing potential future tenants. Unfortunately, there is no clause that allows you to charge for losing potential tenants.