Rentals in San Marcos>Question Details

Cheyenne Pat…, Other/Just Looking in San Antonio, TX

Break lease prior to start date

Asked by Cheyenne Patel, San Antonio, TX Fri Aug 9, 2013

Can I break a lease if my lease start date is in the future? I did sign the list but am finding out there are serious issues with this rental community. From crime, to mismanagement, entry onto premise without permission, and smoke detector issues. I know smoke detectors can be a reason to break the lease but its an arduous process and I would just like to break prior to even occupying. I read on Texas tenant that the owner has to look for another tenant and that I would be on the hook until they find one. But if this is multi unit property that isn't fully booked already, realistically how much can they charge me? Mainly due to the multiple issues I doubt many tenants, are lining up to rent at this property. Shouldn't it be up to the landlord not just to look for renters but actually offer appropriate premises so that tenants want to rent? I wish I had all this sooner. Thank you for any help.

Answers

2
Buyers remorse? Always check out the neighborhood before you sign.
Don't break leases. It can haunt you in the future.
All these things should be checked before you sign the lease.
it is a contract. Read it, understand what your options are.

If all else fails.....go to the office, express your concerns and see if they will cancel your contract.

Owners are typically allowed to enter the premises at reasonable times with or without advance notice, probably on most leases. Smoke detectors are cheap and if the owner doesn't install them, you can do that yourself. However my guess is if they are not installed to code, you ask and they will install to code.

Mismanagement....that's pretty hard to prove....according to who.....probably not a valid reason to break a lease.

Crime is everywhere.....this probably has not changed much before, during, or after you signed your lease. Be careful everywhere, not just at your apartment, but shopping, at work, while travelling.

Probably not what you want to hear, but you signed a contract. You want them to honor their part and you should also honor your part. You wouldn't want them to come to you if you were happy and say they had someone who could pay more rent, or rent faster, or a bigger deposit, or didn't care about smoke detectors and wanted to break your lease, so they could put that person in your apartment.

Move in...be happy....if you don't like it...move when your lease is up.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX