Rentals in Honolulu>Question Details

B9825, Home Buyer in Honolulu, HI

Beware of scammers posting rentals on this site. They will ask for money upfront. Most aren't even owners or property managers.

Asked by B9825, Honolulu, HI Mon Aug 20, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Honolulu

Answers

4
Some prospective tenants are unhappy when I advise them that my company does not rent to people who have not seen the property and who I have not met. Read and Follow the guidelines on Craigslist and do not rent a property you have not seen or have not met with the agent or owner. Why would a tenant want to rent a property they have not seen?

Rental properties I manage have been scammed using the names of the owners and tenants. I have foiled a few because I have a "For Rent" sign in the yard with my phone number listed. I also posted a listing on Craigslist noting that the property had been scammed and gave the "real" rent price and the "real" phone number.

Many scammed properties list a lower price which is "too good to be true". When on the internet looking for rental properties - it is "BUYER/TENANT BEWARE".
So true Frank, you can never be too careful. This happened to a friend of mine years ago and this is still happening today.
B9825,

Send me the property address and I can send the owner's name. Some of the scammers are getting creative and looking up the owner's name too. I agree with Scott, never rent a place sight unseen.

Frank
This is happening quite frequently on several sites. the key is never rent a home site unseen, never wire money, check to make sure the owner is who you are talking to, you can easily check the tax card for fee from your assessors office, If the price seems too good to be true, it probabily is.