Rentals in Austin>Question Details

Sethgho, Renter in

Best way to view many rentals in one day?

Asked by Sethgho, Wed Aug 22, 2012

My family and I are moving to Austin at the end of September. My wife and I will be visiting on Labor Day weekend to find a rental house. What is the best way to view multiple houses in one day?

When I purchased my previous home, I picked a realtor who lined up the viewings back to back and took me around town. Is there any equivalent for renting? If I speak with a realtor, will he only show me properties managed by his agency?

I'm just looking to maximize the efficiency of this trip, and I'm not sure what the best approach will be because I'm renting.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Austin

Le Green Schubert’s answer
In Texas, there is no longer the old thing caled "dual agency" To the point, when you sign a representation agreement with a real estate agent, that agent is legally and ethically bound to show you everything they can, based on your needs. They can't do that and work for the seller/landlord as well.

If they show their own brokers listings, there is a provision in the representation agreement that allows for an "intermediary" appointment, to protect your interests.

All that is explained in a consumer protection notice your agent is required to provide, the "Information about Broker Services".
a realtor is certainly your best bet. they should show you homes that are available within their agency and all others in town as well. my company offers the same service you experienced with your previous purchase to people leasing as well. please contact us if you need assistance - good luck and welcome to austin!
I work a lot with Renters and would be more than happy to assist you in this exciting process! AND, we will look at anything you want - not just my listings. :-)
Yes, it's possible Seth. The thing you need to do, is pick a Realtor, like myself that handles leasing. Then communicate to the best of your ability what you're looking for in terms of price, size of home, features the home "must have", and if possible, area of town you're most interested in. Once that is done, we would start with vacant homes, as they are the easiest to show, and it saves a lot of time. There will be additional lead time needed to negotiate with occupants when there is a tenant or owner in it, as they don't always make it easy to set an appointment. Additionally, some of the listins won't have an electronic lock box on them, so the Realtor you use will need time to find out what the code for mechanical lock boxes is, so they can access the property. Occaisionally, we even see ones where we have to make an appointment with the listing agent, tenant, or owner to show it so more lead time is necessary.

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin
Call me, I can help! That's what I do best. I can guarantee to find you a place in one day. I don't waste time. I'm an expert in the area so finding my clients thier next place in the shortest amount of time is my specialty. I always try to come in on time and under budget!

Molly Pierce
I can help with that.

I do this almost every weekend for out of town visitors showing a bunch of different places, and then hitting up a great place for lunch/dinner.

Just call or email me and we can chat about price, number of bedrooms, style of house, and schools, and what weekend you will be in town. I'll clear my schedule for you.

If some of the matches are with my firm, I'll tell you, but my goal is to find you a great place to live, regardless of who represents the property.

Eric Hegwer, Realtor®
Sethgo, agents/Realtors do leasing work the same as those who do residential sales. Just find a realtor that handles leasing in the area of Austin you are looking at, and they will be most happy to assist you. If they subscribe to the LMS, they will have access to all properties available, not just those of their own broker. I personally do not do leases, but the agents below have offered their services already and I'm sure some others will as well. Good luck! Joe Jarusinsky, Keller Williams Realty
There are lease listings on the Austin MLS just like buy listings. The individual realtors choose whether or not to subscribe to that part of the MLS, depending on whether they are willing to work with lease clients. Lease transactions pay the realtors only a very small commission compared to a buyer's commission (a percentage of one month's rent vs a percentage of the sale price of the house).

That said, I find it keeps me up to speed on the lease market (and pays at least a few bills!) to work with lease clients when I have the time. Many times people are leasing temporarily, and I'd like to think that giving good service regardless of the amount of my commission will pay off in the long run with good client relationships, either when they are ready to buy or through their referrals.

I can help in the north Austin area (I live in Georgetown), but if you are looking for an agent further south who is more familiar with those areas, I would be happy to help you find someone. Free - no referral fee on leases!
Please go to my website,, fill out the "tell us what you need" tab, and we'll show you everything listed with all Realtors that meets your criteria.

The more specific you are, the more efficiently we can assist.

Sincerely, Jody Lockshin, CRS, GRI, CNE
Habitat Hunters Real Estate Services, Since 1972