Rentals in Santa Monica>Question Details

Smrelocation, Renter in Santa Monica, CA

Best time and place to look for rentals in Santa Monica?

Asked by Smrelocation, Santa Monica, CA Mon Aug 6, 2012

I am moving cross-country to Santa Monica on October 1st. I am looking to come to Santa Monica beforehand for about 5 days to find a place. What do you guys suggest as the best time to do this? First week of September? Second week of September? In looking at Craigslist, nothing seems to be available for the 1st of the month until it is the preceding month (meaning apartments for Sept 1st just started going up), but a lot of the listings always say 'move in immediately'. I'm afraid if I go the first few days of September, I will be turned away because I'm looking to move in at the end of the month or prices are too high. But I'm also afraid that if we go in the middle of September, we are getting dangerously close to move day and could be handcuffed.

I'm also thinking of renting through Craigslist, and just scouring a bunch of places as soon as I get there, setting up appointments, and making a move. I have heard terrible things about WSR despite their ubiquity.

Answers

5
Valnes Bell Realtors’ answer
Hi there,

My company, Sunset Park Realtors, is a boutique real estate company specializing in Santa Monica, We also have two leasing specialists: Judy Jinkins and Ryan Talamantes. They are fabulous and would love to help you out with your rental, should you need it. The phone number is 310-390-6280. Give us a call if you'd like! Thanks so much.

I manage properties in Santa Monica and I run a rental department for non-managed properties as well. In my opinion, it would be too early to look for an apartment for an October 1st move-in date. As of September 1st, you should be actively involved in searching for a place. My suggestion would be to come out and look 10-15 days into the month of September. Just be prepared to apply for a place and possibly pay a week or two of overlap rent if you really want to seal the deal for an October move-in date. Some owners are flexible about a move-in date, depending on the strength of the applicant, others are not.

You can email me, Jessica@wellmanproperties.com and we can keep in touch about October rentals in Santa Monica. Please just make sure to tell me how many bedrooms, what area, price range, number of occupants, and pets (if any).

Jessica Acker
Wellman Realty Company
http://www.jessica.ismyreagent.com
310-828-3132
Thank you Jessica. Very helpful. We have done a lot of research and were really debating whether we should look Sept 3-7 or Sept 10-14. It sounds like your suggestion would be the latter?
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
My suggestion is to start looking immediately. Santa Monica is a very hot rental market all year round. I've had a good experience with WSR as far as a exposure. Good luck. If you need further assistance, feel free to call.

Elizabeth Sorgen
310-469-0500
Good day Smrelocation,...

Best time start looking for rentals in Santa Monica is after the delight of the summer season has passed, and the kids have gone back to school = September.

Best place, through the SoCal Investment Real Estate Group @ Sotheby’s International Realty > We know Santa Monica > check us out @ http://www.SantaMonicaPropertyBlog.com.

We look forward to moving forward.

Best….

Jodi Summers
The SoCal Investment Real Estate Group
Sotheby’s International Realty
310. 392.1211
jodi@jodisummers.com
http://www.SoCalGreenRealEstateBlog.com

License # - 01343854
**
Faith is like camera film - It's developed in the dark. —Unknown
Best to go directly to a local pro--- see Find a Pro above in the header.

http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/