Rentals in Seattle>Question Details

Quinnaynay, Renter in Seattle, WA

Best places to rent between Ft. Lewis and Seattle

Asked by Quinnaynay, Seattle, WA Thu Mar 7, 2013

My husband is going to be stationed at Ft. Lewis, but I will be taking a few classes at the University of Washington. We're looking to split the commute 50/50. Are there any neighborhoods that you can recommend between the two? Also important to note that I have a toddler.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Seattle

Answers

2
Quinnaynay,
There's a lot of space between the two, and lot's to consider. A 50/50 split would put you in the Federal Way, Auburn, Des Moines and Kent areas. If this is short term, any of these towns would work and the rents range would be affordable as compared to further north. The closer you get to Seattle the more expensive rent tends to be.
If you think that this could go on for a few years, as school becomes an issue you might want to look into the school districts and consider where you would like your toddler to attend.
I've attached a link to the State Report Card for schools. You can compare district to district and even school to school.
What could you tell me about Puyallup? Safety-wise? Nicest parts? Shopping? I asked some other folks that have been stationed in the area and they advised against going beyond there as my husband's morning commute would actually take him much longer than what the the mapping distance/drive time suggests.
Flag Fri Mar 8, 2013
You'll want to stay near the I-5 corridor, north of Tacoma and south of Seattle. There are a lot of rental units in Federal Way. Federal Way has more shopping and some nice recreational facilities. For convenience and the most amenities, I'd suggest Federal Way. Good luck.