Rentals in Jacksonville>Question Details

bmyers, Renter in Jacksonville, NC

Bed Bugs HELP !

Asked by bmyers, Jacksonville, NC Mon Jun 4, 2012

We live in a very large apartment complex. Recently found bed bugs. The Apt Manangement Company says we have to pay for damages, #1 is this true and # 2 could the bugs be coming from another apartment. Also, confused about what the Magmt company means by damages? It is my furnishing that are getting infested. Also this was not noted in the contract we signed.

Answers

3
Bed Bugs.. Yuck! Sorry to hear about you bug problems. I’m sure it’s a royal pain in the back side. You will be happy to know as a tenant you have options..

To answers your questions
1) The Apt Management Company says we have to pay for damages is it true?
The Answer is NO. Pest control is a function of management. Upon written (preferable certified mail) notification, the owner/manager should take steps to correct the problem. If they choose not to fix it, you have the option of going to the magistrate office and asking for a constructive evection (Google Constructive Eviction), bring evidence of infestation, the letter requesting the problem be fixed and an written response for the owner/managers.

2) Could the bugs be coming from another apartment? Absolutely. Bed bugs like and other pest migrate from one apartment to another. If you have never had a problem with bed bug prior to now.. It is more than likely you may have gotten them from an adjoining unit.

3) Paying for Damages? I would assume that the owner/manager is referring to the cost of Pest Control. I would ask for clarification. Bed bugs are no joke and difficult to get rid of. Good luck in your endeavors and I hope this helps. Please see enclosed link. If you need further assistance give me a call.

Keith Lawrence
Century 21 American Properties, Inc.
910-915-5661
Please let me know what apartment this is?
I would ask your neighbors if they have them. I have heard heat gets rid of them. Unless you have proof they came from another apartment I don't know what you can do. Did others have them before you? You can also call the town Magistrate at 910 455 4458.
Heat does work very well. The way it works is that it dehydrates the bed bug from the inside, killing both eggs and full grown bed bugs. The treatments are very expensive, and can be very time consuming. The heat treatment takes the company I work with only one day and comes with a guarantee. The liquid can be an on-going process and may take several applications to become effective. People don't always realize that in the long run, heat typically costs less. We have quite a few people try liquid then realize it's ineffective and have to additionally have a heat treatment done, which wastes even more money.
Flag Thu May 23, 2013