Rentals in 10475>Question Details

Natalie, Renter in Bronx, NY

Attached to my renewal lease was a temporary consession rider with a $_______ (blank line with no amount) and they want me to sign

Asked by Natalie, Bronx, NY Mon Feb 11, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 10475

Answers

7
In situations like these you can fill out 0.0 on the blank space and sign it. Or ask directly to the Landlord why this addendum is part of my lease.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Hi Natalie,

NEVER ever sign anything with blank spaces. Are you dealing with a manangement company or an individual landlord? I do leases all the time and deal with different management companies. If its a legible lease I never leave blank spaces. Make sure you have inititialed and verified information on every page.
You want to verify all information you never know if you have to go to court one day or an issue arises. If they won't give you an amount, write 0 in there. Make sure you make a copies before giving it back to them - in case they change the amount after you sign (you just never know?). Then you might have a Landlord/Tenant Issue and will have to dispute in Housing Court. The number to the Bronx Housing Court is (718) 466-3025.

Best of Luck!

Mildred Valentin
EXIT REALTY SEARCH
http://www.bronxwestchesterhomes.com
3928 E. Tremont Avenue
Bronx, NY 10465
Hello Natalie,

Your question has a common denominator.

Although this may not be a direct answer to your question, our in-house notary always insists the following steps be taken, prior to any notarizing (or signature as in your case) of any document.

Before officiating any document with your signature, be sure you place [your] initials upon any intentionally blank spaces.

The not-so-obvious reason is, should there be any future dispute, it will be clear that you were aware of such space and intentionally by-passed, not "overlooked it." Also, it prevents anyone from altering your document post [your] signature.

Your initials are always recommended. A straight line or dash or N/A never serves to offer a clarification as to who (your or they) made such entry, should a dispute arise.

Always consult an attorney before signing any document you may not be familiar with.

Best wishes,
Payment-Plan Brokerâ„¢ Team
1-(718) PAY-PLANâ„¢ (729-7526)
Hi Natalie,

NEVER sign anything with blank spaces. If they didn't put an amount in there, ask them what the amount should be and write it in there (if you agree to the amount). If they won't give you an amount, write 0 in there. Make sure you make a copy before giving it back to them - in case they change the amount after you sign (you never know?).

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Hi Natalie,

I would recommend putting 0 in the blank line but find out if that's a standard clause on your landlords lease and if so. What does that concession apply to? We do rentals all the time and almost never see a rider to the lease so probe before signing is my best advice.
Have you considered discussing the rider with your landlord...
Never sign contracts with blank lines. Period. There is always a way to get around this when both parties truthfully don't know what to put in. You could have a contingency clause letting you out of the contract if you do not approve of the figure that is eventually put in there.