Rentals in Denver>Question Details

Trulia Denver, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Are there smart meters that allow roommates to pay for the power they use, instead of equally splitting the whole bill?

Asked by Trulia Denver, Denver, CO Mon Feb 4, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Denver

Answers

4
Lake Bishop’s answer
I do not think this is possible unless it is two separate properties. In most roommate situations you are sharing appliances and utilities. There is not really a good way to know how much one load of laundry costs or cooking one night. These issues should be negotiated prior to moving in to the property.
I know they have them in some countries in Europe, I don't see why not here. It could be expensive to have one and then does not make sense for the parties that need it.
Trulia Denver,

I have never heard of one. In a duplex, often the utilities and are split, but in the same unit it would be difficult. There would be rare instances where one's utility use would be a lot more than another. Especially in a condo or apartment. Hope that helps.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
None that I know of. You will just need to work it out using your best guess. Best of luck