Sarah Perez, Renter in Savannah, GA

Are rentals expected to pay association fees.?

Asked by Sarah Perez, Savannah, GA Wed Feb 20, 2013

This question was asked from this property:…

Most owners include that fee in the cost of the rental and continue to pay the fee themselves. Of course, it depends on the individual owner as to how they handle this fee.

Linda Sanchez
Re/Max Savannah
As a landlord, I would NEVER allow a tenant to place my property in jeopardy. The TENANT always pays for everything, including the additional cash flow I expect. However, it will be embedded in the rent check you write to me. I will pay the HOA directly, with your money. You need to get in a position to buy.

One aspect Johnathan's through explanation did not cover is 'Fee based' amenities. Communities with such structures allow owners to add to the base fee according to the amenities they will use such as fitness center, golf, business suites, office equipment, meeting space, concierge, the list goes on and on and on. This may be the situation you are facing.

Because associations have 'super lien' capability, the owner should not allow this vulnerability to be in the hands of a tenant.

Thank you for your question. As Nikki said it does depend on the landlord. However, with real estate anything is negotiable.

Looking at it from a few angles:

1.) The landlord may have the fees included in the rent, that way it doesn't get behind and the tenant has full use of the amenities provided.

2.) It might be that the tenant pays rent and also the fees. Not the safest bet for the owner (landlord) cause if it falls behind he/she will have to cover it. You don't want liens on the property.

3.) The landlord may be happy to have it rented and paying their mortgage so they pay it.

As I said all things are negotiable. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Johnathan Kenyon
Heather Murphy Real Estate Group
Keller WIlliams
Depends on the landlord. Sometimes they include it in your rent. Sometimes the landlord will pay it.