Rentals in 30092>Question Details

Rychitre, Home Buyer in Duluth, GA

Approved, but not moving

Asked by Rychitre, Duluth, GA Wed May 15, 2013

I paid application fee and deposit. I got approved. After approval, they ask me if I am interested me in apartment. I said yes. But in 2 hrs, I realized few facts (apartment reviews were very bad on Google, apartment has lot of bugs and roaches, bad management few murders) and called the office and told them I want to cancel the whole deal. I am single mom with 7 year old kid. So, I am looking safe and comfortable place. But the apartment manager told me that I have to pay one month rent now as I initially said yes and it is loss for them. I don’t think 2 hrs make any difference. It was Friday 4 pm. I am ok to lose my application fee and deposit.

What if I just don’t move in on move-in date? Will they send me bill for 1 month and I pay later. How does this work?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 30092

Answers

3
Steve Parsons’ answer
You told the office yes, but did you sign a rental agreement? Verbal agreements are unenforceable and you should be able to back out if you didn't sign a rental agreement. You may lose the application fee and possibly the deposit, but not a month's rent. I'd consult this with an attorney.
It depends on what you agreed to in writing. Look at the terms of the lease agreement (if there is one), or, request that the agent show you in in writing exactly what you are responsible for.
You definitely want to get this resolved so it doesn't escalate/snowball into a much larger issue in the future.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
I absolutely hate that situation for you. I have been in similar situations as this and paid the price. You are not obligated to pay anything until you sign the lease, except for application fee and deposit. No lease, no rent payment due.

I would do through research on a property before ever applying to avoid this in the future.