Rentals in New York>Question Details

Kate, Renter in New York, NY

Any suggestions? Grad students looking to rent apt ($1000-$1200) –Special financial circumstances getting in the way – please see below. Thanks!

Asked by Kate, New York, NY Mon Sep 10, 2012

My sister and I are grad students looking for a 1 bedroom (studio is fine) 1 bathroom apartment in the Manhattan area (or surrounding area, so long as it is under a 30 minute subway ride to Midtown).

Our budget is somewhat limited - $1000-$1200 a month depending on utilities – and we have no guarantors. On the positive side, we both have jobs, although we do not meet the 40x the rent requirement many rental applications require. Also, another positive, we have excellent credit and savings, and would be willing to pay for a short term lease up front, or be willing to pay our rent quarterly (pay for three months’ rent at a time) in order to secure an apartment.

Any ideas or suggestions for places that would be willing to trade the rental requirements for a short term lease paid in full or a modified rental schedule (especially in Manhattan, or West Brooklyn areas)?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in New York

Answers

4
Hi Kate, I have a nice 1bdrm in Washington Hts within your budget that would work nicely for you and your Sister because it's on the A-train line (which is express) so you can commute quickly to midtown. Most landlords do require 40's the monthly rent however the fact that you both have excellent credit works in your favor. There are creative ways to get around the requirement. Please feel free to give me a call if your still need a place. I'll be glad to help you out :-)

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
"Home is where the heart is."
Please give me a call. My name is Erika and I can be reached at 917-335-8569. Thank you and good luck.
Hi, I think sunny side(15 mins), wood side(20mins) or Jackson Heights(25mins) of queens will be very convenient to commute to midtown Manhattan, also in Harlem of Manhattan 1BD will be available in your budget. I have 2 studios in Sunset Park of Brooklyn. If you want to see apartments, please feel free to contact me. mgu@redacinc.com

I know you can definately find studio apts large enough for 2 people in some areas in Queens (where I live) around that budget. I also know some management companies that allow you to pay 1 or 2 months extra security if no garauntor. ... If you would like me to search for you + show you some apts please text me at (917) 583-6053 or e-mail patty@metropolitanpropertygroup.com