Rentals in Sacramento>Question Details

I.Furpie, Renter in Sacramento, CA

Any recommendations for a property management company in Sacramento, Ca that DOES NOT do invasive inspections?

Asked by I.Furpie, Sacramento, CA Tue Jun 18, 2013

I don't mind inspections if they are to look for a specific issue. But most of the property management companies I have dealt with want to do inspections to just see how the tenant is using the place. Very illegal, very invasive. Any thoughts? I'm looking for Southside Park area or south of R street.

Answers

7
V E R R E O S, Tony’s answer
Thanks to those of you who shared that some cities have mandated rental property inspections - I had not read or heard of that before.
When I was managing eight units in Oakland we had rent control, but interior inspections were optional. We found that if we didn't inspect, tenants would allow small maintenance items to become more serious. We had to inspect out of self defense as well as to properly maintain our
property.

As a 20 year renter in San Francisco, no one ever inspected, but I would've had no problem if they had, so I don't understand the objection unless as was noted, someone is conducting illegal activities etc.

Forty-three years as an insurance broker has taught me that inspections assure everyone that property is maintained, and that tends to minimize insurance claims which lowers costs, and
prevents major headaches over conflicts.

Inspecting is professional. It's not the same as snooping around out of curiosity.
Hello there...

I have to chime in here as well since we have a property management unit.

The reason you'll see us do it is because we work for the owner and we are the stewards of their asset. In addition, it protects everybody... especially the owners.

As Jim pointed out the City of Sacramento and the City of Rancho Cordova will do them anyway to just to make sure the owner is keeping the property in good condition. We like to be ahead of that and will drive by to make sure you are taking care of the place.

If we see a lot of junk on the outside..? chances are the inside is just as bad or worse. We've had people cram a garage and the inside of a property with so much stuff that it's a health hazard.

Your only solution to get away from this "intrusion" is to buy your own place. Even then if it's not maintained the Cities or the County can inspect it if it's so bad it appears to be a nuisance give you a citation.

I hope this helps...

Make it a great day..!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
I'm afraid I don't understand this sentiment. If I were a landlady looking for a property management company, I would want a company that was proactive and capable of keeping me informed about my rental property. I'd also want to know if the tenant was using the place for, oh, say, a meth lab.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
Au contraire. It is illegal to NOT do yearly inspections.

The city gives landlords a checklist of twenty health and safety items that must be inspected by the landlord on an annual basis. If the landlord does not conduct these inspections, then the city will.

This is primarily to protect the health and safety of tenants and their children. However, if it is discovered that a tenant is systematically destroying the property with bad habits, violating lease terms, or conducting illegal activities, the landlords inspector will report that back to the pm company.

Would you rather have a government official snooping your house?

Many people feel the way you do, not wanting a stranger to have access to their home. Those people are motivated to become homeowners - if they can afford it.

By the way, the monthly cost of home ownership for homes priced under $300,000 (typically about $1700 in rent) is lower than the monthly cost of renting the same value home.

Buy a house.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
The City and County have mandated annual inspections. It is required to perform inspections
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
Are you a tenant looking for a home to rent, or a landlord looking for a company to manage your property? In either case, I would hope that you would see the inspection as a good thing to make sure the home is up to code with relation to health and safety.

The home is not supposed to deteriorate over the course of a lease. In homes that are owned and maintained by a homeowner, they most often improve during occupancy. Wouldn't it be nice if that were true with a rental? At a minimum it needs to be maintained at the current condition. Invasive assumes the inspection is not helpful. I think most respondents here disagree with that.
Lyon Real Estate has several property managers and we have a few that cover the downtown area. If you are interested give me a call or send me an email and I can get you the info.

Jaime Becker
Lyon Real Estate
jbeckerRealtor@yahoo.com
http://www.SacramentoHomesByJaime.com
Off: 916-484-3610
BRE# 01737783