Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

nhpls4343, Renter in 60647

Any help with finding an apartment with an open chapter 13?

Asked by nhpls4343, 60647 Sat Nov 9, 2013

I've been in a chapter 13 for almost a year and a half, paid on time, every month, and have also paid rent on time, every month. I've had a People's gas bill in my name since April and have paid it on time every month. It even reflects on my credit. I used creditkarma.com and myfico.com to check my scores a couple of days ago. All scores are over 610. I haven't tried applying for any apartments because I've done so much research that I'm nervous of wasting money on application fees just to get rejected. I can't seem to find any landlords on craigslist, they seem to all be working with a third party realty company or something. Any idea where to start? I've tried driving around in my neighborhood, near and far, and I haven't seen ANY for rent signs up. Its getting frustrating because my lease is up in February. Can anyone please send some information or help my way?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

7
Have you tried working direct with a real estate broker/rental agency? If you can provide an additional months rent (or more) that will help for sure. Also, maybe an explanation letter of any troubles you encountered and why you had to file a chapter 13. Most people are looking at rentals to fill immediately, therefore, if you are looking to move some place in Feb, I would start looking end of Dec or beginning of January. They want to fill the vacancy as soon as possible, that may be part of the problem?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 13, 2013
Be prepared to provide more in rent upfront or more in security deposit. Provide a letter of explanation describing your reality. Work with a Realtor or try Carigslist / Domu.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 12, 2013
You're probably running into trouble on Craigslist because many times apartment building owners will contract with apartment renting companies to save themselves some work. There's no way of telling from where the apartment may pull your credit history but you have a strong case and recent history of worthiness. I recommend enlisting the help of an agent who can present your case on your behalf.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
this will be hard, need to find a lucky dea
Craigslist will probably be your best bet for this.

You will have to probably offer double security deposit with that credit score as well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
I want to be in an apartment in Chicago that isn't in a bad neighborhood and within a decent price.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
Where do you want to be? There are many landlords that will either ask you for additional security or flat out take still take you with your explanation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013