Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Talli Boo, Renter in Chicago, IL

Am I the only person that is coming across like a million scammers on this site? Every request I have made

Asked by Talli Boo, Chicago, IL Wed Sep 12, 2012

Am I the only person that is coming across like a million scammers on this site? Every request I have made so far the owners live in England, Texas but not in Chicago where I am hunting for a place to rent. And the have the keys to the house/ apartment and wants you to pay over money to someone or their bank account before they ship the keys to you. Trulia needs to pay close attention to these scams they are a pain in the butt.

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

16
Trulia, takes this sort of thing very seriously. Please report them. Pay attention to the price listed and other comparable properties. Usually the scammers price their listings way below market value.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
You are absolutely right, thank you Tim!
Flag Fri Sep 21, 2012
Yes, the internet is rife with scam-sters. Unfortunately, some of them are also on Trulia, and rentals are one of the most common places to find them.

That's why you should be working with a Realtor who would help you find true, honest and accurate rentals in the areas your searching for.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 12, 2012
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hello Talli,

Unfortunately this has become very common on a number of consumer websites including Trulia. I fist saw the trend on Craigslist. Scammers from remote locations will take real listing info, often from a real property listed for sale, and pretend to be the owner (living out of state or out of the country of course). Any scenario where you are ask to send money or personal info to somebody you have not met in person is almost certainly a scam. You would be doing yourself a big favor to seek out the services of a professional full time Realtor who has the experience and resources to avoid these situation all together. Trulia and and other consumer RE websites are terrific for obtaining preliminary info on many given markets, but beyond that , you should not rely on this kind of listing info.

Happy searching!
Scott G Peterson
773-588-2800
Hi Talli,

Thanks for using Trulia and letting us know of this issue. While we work hard to scan the site in real-time and do our best to catch these types of issues, you may report instances of fraud to Trulia by sending an email to fraud@trulia.com. You may also do so by clicking the 'Report Error' button that appears on the details page for the listing.

If you have any additional suggestions or feedback, please email customerservice@trulia.com.

best,
Ali, Community Manager
Famous caveat "buyer beware", you're doing the right thing by being aware and alert.

Some of these scammers are really smooth, but in the end when it comes down to money that's always the catch!

Good luck & steer clear!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
yes they are thank for the tip
Get an agent. It's free & she will do all the work. 773-914-5309 or bbiederman@citypointrealty.com
Trulia needs to institute the same rule regarding rentals that they do with sales and only allow licensed real estate professionals to post here. I guarantee none of these scammers are working with Realtors, none of us would represent them!
Sounds like an excellent reason to work with an agent who is representing you in the transaction and can locate the perfect place based on their companies relationship with management companies and also their personal access to the MLS. I'd love to help - and would love to hear from you!

About me: innovativepropertyconsultants.com/sarahz

Sarah
sarahz@jamesonsir.com
312-339-4460
Tons of rentals on here are scams. Be wary of them. It's a mess. No clue why trulia doesn't regulate this.
There are some excellent agents who are regular participants on this site. Use some common sense, do your homework and you can get great results from Trulia.
There is no free lunch, nothing that is too good to be true is, and there is, as the man says, "one for every seat".
There is no reason you can't find a place to buy, or rent, if you work with a qualified professional.
There are all types of scams that's why it's important to get a licenced rental agent to assist you.

Watch out for people leasing vacant homes they don't own !

Robert Nowak
Listing Agent
RE/MAX City
773-699-5151
Greetings Talli,

Work with a State of IL Licensed Realtor. They can help you find a place that meets your needs. Should you need any help, feel free to contact me.
Hello Talli,

It is very unfortunate but true. You have to be very careful on who you deal with on this and other sites. That is why the best recommendation we can give you is to hire a licensed realtor or leasing agent. In the state of Illinois you can look them up by going on the Illinois department of financial and professional regulations website to verify if they are licensed. If you need help or have more questions feel free to contact me. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.myownhome.info
Yes, there are lots and lots of fake listings on Trulia...it's a shame. The best way to search for a rental here in Chicago without wading through all the Scammy McScamsters is to hire a rental agent to help you out -- it's free for you, and should provide some peace of mind.
Hi Talli,

Check out my new blog post. It addresses the issue of avoiding rental scams on the internet. I think you might find it interesting.

If I might make a recommendation, contact a local real estate agent (you can find great ones on here.) They will find what you are looking for and it will most likely be entirely free to you.