Rentals in Center Moriches>Question Details

Heidi Stigli…, Renter in Riverhead, NY

Agents, fees and rentals

Asked by Heidi Stigliano, Riverhead, NY Fri May 24, 2013

I have been looking for a rental in Center Moriches for two months now. I don't mind paying a broker fee but the experience I've been having with local brokers really makes me resent the idea of having to pay one. I have contacted many agents regarding listed rentals and my experience has included being forwarded to voicemails, never getting returned calls, agents taking my personal info and then never calling back, agents taking my email and saying they will email listings and never do or agents who say they will speak to an owner and never follow up. I am a financially stable, mature renter with excellent references and no programs. Why is it so difficult to find a decent agent and why should I pay someone a fee if I have to chase them down to get them to work for me?

- frustrated in Moriches

Answers

5
Why not simply work with one agent; ask people you may know for referrals, or interview a few and then choose the one you like best; keep in mind that not all agents are created alike.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
I work in the area, feel free to contact me. The one and only reason I could think that no one is responding or calling back is that your wants may not necessarily meet what is available in the area.
For instance, Center Moriches as of right now only has 10 listings for year round rent, and 1 for only seasonal..., but not all 11 may be readily available. Now out of this 11, if you have pets we only have approximately 2 that will allow pets. Now I have not made calls to check availability, but those 2 may already be gone?

With pets you are limited to just those 2 homes, now we must also weigh in how many people you have total. Depending on how many people will reside with you, will also cut that number down depending on the permit max allowance number the town has issued the home.

I am thinking that the agents you are calling should most respectfully respond to your calls, but these weighing in factors could be why they are forgetting to make contact, the reason being... there just might not be anything available.

If you would like some help send me an email keytoyourhome@hotmail.com

Even with the limited amount of homes out there, I will try my best to match you up with something that works for your family.

Thanks again
I'm sorry if you've had problems finding a rental. If you're still looking and haven't found "your" agent, feel free to contact me. Because of the relatively low commission compared to regular home sales, many agents shy away from rentals. I don't. I found that if you treat someone right, they'll do right by me also and send me referrals. There are currently 11 rentals in Center Moriches, some of which are seasonal. Feel free to contact me. Ralph Windschuh, Keller Williams Realty Homes and Estates, 631-495-4711
Hi Heidi, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had. Have you tried finding an agent on Trulia? Check recomendaions and you should be able to find a responsive agent that does rentals. I don't do rentals in Center Moriches but I would be happy to e-mail you the available listings and provide you with the contact information of each listing agent if you'd like. There are currently 10 active listings ranging in price from $1,200 up to a seasonal rental of $10,000.
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.SuffolkFreeCMA.com
http://www.NassauFreeCMA.com
#1 Listing & Selling Office on Long Island
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the suggestions and offer of help. I am religiously on Trulia, MLS, Craigslist, Zillow, ect... As you know, there is not much out there in Center. It really just kills me to think that I have to do all of this work on my own and yet, I have to pay someone upward of $1500. just because they hold the listing. I have a list of 6 agents that I have tried working with but who cleary just don't have the time or interest. Who is their boss? Is there anyone I can complain to? If an apartment is not on mls, is there any way that another agent can show it to me if the one who is listed on the ad doesn't return calls? Do I call their agency? I'm in a tough situation because there are not a whole lot of agents who handle rentals in CM and I don't want to make enemies but i'm tired of being overlooked. Tom, if you wouldn't mind e-mailing me that would be wonderful. I have sent my info over to your business e-mail.
Thanks!!
Flag Sat May 25, 2013
Do yo have signed contract with your agent (buyer agent)?
Do you know which agency, which office they work in?
Do you have the records of communication with the agent?
Have you spoken with the agent's broker?
Have you contacted the Department of State?
Check if your agents have their license in order.
You do have the agents name and Number.
Don't be a victim, you have to know your rights.