Rental Basics in Noe Valley>Question Details

girlbybay, Renter in San Francisco, CA

when someone pays cash for a house, how long do i have as a renter to move out? 30 days from end of escrow?

Asked by girlbybay, San Francisco, CA Thu Sep 27, 2012

Answers

6
Thank you everyone. I am calling the Rent Control Board today.
San Francisco has eviction laws that are part of the Rent Control Ordinance and you should contact the Rent Board on Van Ness to get educated.
If you have a lease you have the right to stay till the end of the lease. If you've been a tenant there for less than a year you are to be given 30 days notice, if you've been there over a year it is sixty days notice. Those numbers assume that you have no special disability or qualify for the age restrictions.
The type of housing and the age of the building also you live in also factor into the rights granted tenants by the law in San Francisco.
Be aware taht there are two sets of laws that govern your rights as a tenant. There are Eviction Laws and Rent Control laws, both are important. In other words knowing the rent control laws doesn't cover kowing the eviction laws. Rent control and some eviction controls vary by city or county while other eviction laws are state wide and can't be restricted locally.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

As stated, cash does not move a tenant faster than purchasing a property with a loan. You will need to find out about the tenant's current status. Is there a lease in place or is it month to month? What is the age of the tenant? (some tenant's have protected status).

I would suggest you work with your Realtor to determine the nature of the tenancy and as suggested also contact the Rent Control Board. http://www.sfrb.org/

Doing your homework first will be important.

Hope that helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
Cash purchase or gold billion-based is irrelevant like my colleagues have stated. One indicator to look at before you even call an attorney (Bornstein & Bornstein are good so is Jamie Uziel among others) is how the listing agent describes it and if the tenants have completed questionnaires commonly known as estoppels.
The realtor didn't drop off the estoppel questionnaire until the day before it sold. Also landlady has lost track of her lease - which she actually sent to me in 2010 with the WRONG NAME included. She essentially listed the tenants from 2 rentals back, crossed out there names and wrote my name in. It's a train wreck. She's 83, never called me, only let her realtor contact me and has not been here in 20 years. And, when the last tenant moved out - she gave them back their deposit without inspecting the property before I moved in. They left behind a ton of stuff - like paint cans, old window coverings, wood shelving - all stuff that should have been trashed. I feel quite vulnerable at this point, like I will lose my deposit unless I let the last month's rent and 1/2 month's rent deposit run out.
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
How a property is financed does not affect your rights as a tenant. In San Francisco, only an owner who is moving in can ask you to leave. However, depending on how long you have been a tenant, whether there are children in the house, whether you have a lease - all these factors will affect your rights to stay.

Read on line about tenant's rights, or call the rent board- all these are free, will give you a good starting point.

Astrid Lacitis
Keynote Properties
415 860 0765
I would suggest contacting an attorney to discuss your rights, or at least contacting the San Francisco Tenants' Union. One attorney to call (who recently aided a renter on a similar case) is Chris O'Connell, chris@oconnellsf.com, 415.722.5261. Good luck.
Thank you very much. I had planned to call the Tenant's Union tomorrow. They've been so helpful thus far. Thank you for the referral as well.
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012