Rental Basics in Phoenix>Question Details

Raquel Patte…, Real Estate Pro in Coconut Grove, FL

typical real estate commisson for a licensed realtor for a rental

Asked by Raquel Patterson, Coconut Grove, FL Thu Jun 2, 2011

Answers

5
Actually Pat's answer is not correct. Simply DISCUSSING office commissions does not violate any anti-trust statute. It's a free country and we can all enjoy our first amendment rights to freedom of speech. However, conspiring with another brokerage to fix commissions IS a violation of Sherman Anti-Trust because those brokerages would be limiting consumer choice. We are not limiting consumers' rights or choices by simply having a conversation. Realtors, grow some cajones!

With that said, my office typically charges 6% of the annual gross rent as a listing commission for rentals. It's up to you as the seller how much you wish to offer the cooperating agent, we generally recommend sharing 50% of the listing commission. Other offices may charge differently based on their brokers' policies, and our broker gives us the freedom to charge whatever and however we wish. If the rental value is low, the commission percentage may be higher.

I sell about 100 foreclosures annually, many of which make great rentals. If you are thinking about acquiring rental properties, please let me know and my team would be happy to assist.
Exactly the right answer from Pat. However, we should note that commissions will vary not only depending on the owner but also on the type of property being rented (i.e. residential vs. commercial). Check w/broker!
Great answer Pat. Nice to see you give the right advice in a concise matter.
Pat is correct and truthfully these fees change region to region. In Phoenix, we often see flat fees offered rather than a percentage so it is a fixed cost to the landlord but they can vary a lot depending on the monthly rental rates.
Web Reference: http://www.remax.com
This question violates the Sherman Antitrust Act. The concern is price fixing. It is illegal to discuss fees. I suggest that you talk to your broker.