Rental Basics in Newark>Question Details

smail430551, Renter in 43055

the house iam renting the owners are wanting to sell it but iam in contract with them for 6 more months any thing i can do about it or iam S.O.L.

Asked by smail430551, 43055 Fri Oct 4, 2013

they have a agent looking at it in a week where does that leave me at? can they sell it if they have a contract with me..

Dan Tabit’s answer
You need to do some reading. First the NJ landlord Tenant Law is linked below and will be the controlling issue. Second will be your lease. If your lease and the law don't agree, the law is correct.
Chances are the owner can sell, but you will likely be able to control showings and may be entitled to the remainder of your lease. If the owner provides some incentive to leave early, consider it. I've also heard of landlords offering incentives to encourage a tenant to cooperate with showings. Consider how to make this work out for everyone.