Rental Basics in 89121>Question Details

Marieclaude14, Home Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

roomate eviction las vegas

Asked by Marieclaude14, Las Vegas, NV Mon Jul 30, 2012

How and what to do I never gave him a receipt, but only rules move in 1 weeks ago on verbal agreement of 2 weeks trial, he broke the rules, bring drugs and consume drugs, violent verbally to me, he even call the cops on me for no reason expecting the cops to say no problem you can stay for ever since you have stuff in a room, I do not have money to go to court to file eviction. and he dont want to leave.. I cannot go to landlord since I am not suppose to rent a room afraid of being myself evicted cause of that. Dunno what to do. No way of taking to him. He just sit in his room all day and night go out to get booze and drugs. I took picture of joint left in his bathroom but could not have one of his smoke pipe but knows that he has one.

Answers

6
Trulia VIP David Cooper’s answer
" He just sit in his room all day and night go out to get booze and drugs"

Getting the police involved with drugs in the house could lead to a lot of "questions" Changing the locks when he is out seems a lot easier.

David Cooper 702-499-7037
Hello again Marie,
My tenants go through this issue more often than you can imagine. There is nothing to be sorry about or feel any shame. You need to be strong and do what you need to do to protect yourself.

DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO THE INTRUDER. Tell the intruder nothing about what you are "going to do". JUST DO IT.

Since he called the police, there is a file attached to your address. This will be a good thing for you.

Go to the Family Courthouse and file a Restraining / Protective Order with the court. There are attorneys that can assist you at no charge to you. In Las Vegas, go to the Family Courts and Services Center, 601 N. Pecos, Las Vegas, (702) 455-3400. (If you are not in Las Vegas, let me know where you are and I will locate the proper location for you to go.)

Look here for more information.

http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/lvjc/protective-orders.html

The protective order will be in effect to protect you and your family at home, at work, and all areas in between.

The Constable will serve your intruder and he will get out. If he returns, now it is your turn to call the police. This time, you call the non emergency number if you are not in danger, or the emergency number if you are in danger, and tell them that you want this person out of your house. He does not live there and is not on the lease. He is also violating the Protective Order.

If you are uncomfortable with the intruder, meet the police at the corner or down the street. Give them the key to your house and they will do the rest.

Tell your neighbors what you have done. If they see him about the area, they should call the police.

Please remember - no shame or feeling sorry about what you are doing. This is the right thing to do.
I hope that helps. Let us know what happens.

New Web Sites:

http://www.SHORTSELL4FREE.INFO

Please contact me immediately if you know a person that cannot make their mortgage payments. I will work with them to avoid foreclosure or bankruptcy at no charge or fees to them.

Steven Goldman, CRS
Broker Salesman
Certified Distressed Property Expert (CDPE)
Certified Default Advocate (CDAT)
Certified Short Sale Professional (CSP)
REO-BPO Certified
GRI, ABR, SRES, CNHS, PM, CCI
Realty One Group
10750 W. Charleston #180
Las Vegas, NV 89135
Direct 702-242-1372
Fax: 866-286-2099
E-Mail: crssteven@teamgoldman.info
http://www.teamgoldman.info
Marie. Call a locksmith and change the locks when your visitor goes out. Or even tell him you are changing the locks and he won't get the key, so he might want to find a new place before he gets locked out

David Cooper
If you or your property are in danger leave immediately and call the police. Do not stay anywhere you are threatened. Call the police. Then return when the issue is cleared.

Good day Marie,
This is an easy issue to resolve. Yes, it is real easy.
If, and only if the person has not signed an agreement with you, you are not subleasing. If, and only if, the person has not signed an agreement with you and the landlord, they are not a tenant.
They are trespassing.
So there you are. This person is not a tenant and not a wanted guest. How do you get rid of a unwanted guest? Sorry, guests are welcome. This person is in your unit unlawfully. This person is unwelcome, period. Call the police NONEMERGENCY NUMBER . Do not call 911 unless this is an emergency and your life and/or property is in danger. The police will respond and will remove him from YOUR rental unit. This is not his rental unit. Be sure to have a copy of the lease in your hand to provide to the police when they show up.
Tell the police to have this person the take his drugs and all personal belongings that include everything else that belongs to them, when they leave.
At this time, it does not matter what he says. He is not on the lease and he is unwanted. He is a danger to you and the neighborhood. Tell the police that you want him out, now. Tell the police that show up the you want the person told that is is unwanted and will be trespassing if he shows up again. That way he can be arrested if he shows up again.
I also recommend that you change the locks (with your landlord's permission) at your expense. Have them ready when the police are there. I can recommend a lock smith to work with you if needed.

If you leave the property, you are still are required to pay the rent. You are in a contract with the current landlord until your lease is complete. If you do not pay the rent, you may be sued for the full amount and fees (lots of them). You are responsible for any damage done to the rental unit by you or the other person or anyone else for that matter.
You inviting in a unwanted person into your home and then leaving is no reason to expect a judge to reverse a binding contract with the current landlord.

Let us know what happens. We like to hear about success stories.
Have a great week.

New Web Sites:

http://www.SHORTSELL4FREE.INFO

Steven Goldman, CRS
Broker Salesman
Certified Default Advocate (CDAT)
Certified Short Sale Professional (CSP)
REO-BPO Certified
GRI, ABR, SRES, CNHS, PM, CCI
Realty One Group
10750 W. Charleston #180
Las Vegas, NV 89135
Direct 702-242-1372
Fax: 866-286-2099
E-Mail: crssteven@teamgoldman.info
http://www.teamgoldman.info
I love your answer and agree with you but, according to the police who came when he called them., I have to go to court and file eviction notice. Reason is simple he has stuff in a room, it is not like he is passing the night. But now things are changing since I know for a fact that he is consuming drugs. I just cant afford filing fee, I started docmenting ( picture and recording conversation, so next time he flip out I ll have picture and conversation. but I cant go inhis room and locate the pipe. Or maybe when I know that he just brought some drugs and he is consuming they may arrest him. Another thing He told me that this coming Friday he has to appear in court in CA and if he is not there will be a warrant for his arrest maybe with that I can do something. i dunno. But thanks
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
Call ( Housing Helpers ) on Tropicana and rind another room to rent and get the heck out of there. There's nothing you can do where your at. Sorry...find a cheap room to rent somewhere else.

Matt
Sorry about your troubles. This is why Property Management companies and other licensed real estate professionals exist, my friend...because it is not an easy task for those not familiar with the process. See our website for details:http://lvpropertysearch.com/las-vegas-investment-homes/las-v…