Rental Basics in Los Angeles>Question Details

ashley, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

owner decides to sell the house 2 months after I moved in..

Asked by ashley, Los Angeles, CA Wed Mar 6, 2013

I moved in this house November 1st after signing a 1 year lease agreement, two months later I receive an email saying that the owner wants to sell the house and the day after they did the first showing. Since then it has been non stop people in and out of the house. I work from home and have a dog which means I have to leave the house every time they come. They even came 2 times on Sundays and last week stayed 2 hours with 5 or 6 people for an inspection while I was working and left the house with dirt everywhere knowing the cleaning lady was there the day before. Now they ask me to leave the house for an hour on a week day to do an appraisal. What can I do? can I ask a discount for the disturbance? I told them I was looking for a long term place since I moved my office in the house, etc. Now I don't know what's going to happen if I will have to move out or not.. I stopped furnishing the house and I live in a half empty house I might be kicked out of.. Need advices.. THKS

Answers

2
I believe a new owner has to honor the terms of your lease. At least if you're at the inspection phase of the process it sounds like the hassle and inconvenience should be coming to an end. Ron is right about checking the terms of your lease. I would be suprised if it *requires* you to leave for showings - that seems above and beyond though you may choose to leave. Typically, the owner would rather you left - it's always better to not have anyone home when a place is being shown - but if I were your landlord I would reward you in some way for your inconvenience and for being willing to go out.
Life is full of stuff like this; sorry.
You probably have a cluse that allows the Owner to do this; have you looked?
That is one reason why the Owner has a KEY.
Seller and Buyer have to honor your lease.
You could move....