Rental Basics in 01609>Question Details

claudinestyl…, Renter in Worcester, MA

my mother is elderly and does not get enough heat and the landlord does nothing we called hpd over and over again nothing what do we do

Asked by claudinestyles, Worcester, MA Fri Mar 22, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:



Louis gave you great advise, if your mothers landlord is not providing heat (or working heating system) you may also withhold rent. Keep in mind when you withhold rent you should put it in a separate account and make it available to the landlord as soon as the issue is fixed. Your mother may qualify for free legal assistance, many people use Community Legal Aid
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 12, 2014

Scott is overstepping his bounds and mis-informing you as what to do.

Although your mother is elderly that has nothing to do with what is required under the housing laws in Massachusetts as to heat. You may want to visit this web site and see if the heat within the property meets the law.

If they are not being meet then I suggest you send a certified letter to the landlord and contact the local health department and the attorney generals office.

If you need guidance there are many free legal aid services available within the community…

good luck

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 22, 2013
Well first of all plan on moving, it's unfortunate but when you push further it may not be worth living there longer. You could contact one of the local TV investigative reporters to see if they'll do a story & possibly confront the landlord. You should consult an attorney familiar with elder law and/or housing law they can give you legal advice as to how to take this to the courts or may refer you to a local housing rights group. Even consider talking to clergy if you're religiously inclined. The biggest thing you'll need to do is document the heat situation. Get a thermometer & take pics with the daily newspaper next to it 2-3x per day (morning, noon & night) to show a pattern of this. Courts and housing groups need proof more than just your word that it's not warm enough. At the end of the day though it may not be comfortable living with a hostile landlord unfortunatly. You could also contact the local city councilperson to perhaps mediate the situation. Document all correspondences, emails etc. you'll need these.

Hope that helps,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 22, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer