Property Man…, Real Estate Pro in Pennsylvania

is the landlord required by law to clean carpets before new tenant moves in?

Asked by Property Manager, Pennsylvania Fri Apr 29, 2011

The landlord does not have a professional carpet cleaning company clean carpets after a tenant moves out. He usesa residential carpet cleaner that does not get out the deep dirt or stains. This is a health hazzard. Isn't there a law that states the carpets have to be cleaned effeciently?

Answers

4
No, there is no such law. Your management contract should spell out this type of item. If you feel this landlord is causing a health risk then as the property manager you are also guilty. This sounds like a case of getting it fixed or tell the landlord to get another manager.
Your idea of a "health hazzard" and the health department's definition may be quite different. If you feel that it is that much of a health hazzard, contact the local health department and voice your concerns and see if you have an argument. They would be the better ones to tell you about the legality of it all.

If you are moving in to a property, this can certainly be negotiated in the rental contract as a requirement that the landlord do this. They may or may not be willing to do it, however. And, as BG stated, the rental contract states that you must leave the property in the same condition that it was handed over to you in. If you negotiate professional cleaning as a part of your move in, that means that YOU will be responsible for the professional cleaning as a part of your move OUT process.

Best of luck to you,

It's more than real estate. It's RAYL-Estate!

Brian Rayl, REALTOR®, e-PRO, SFR
Keller Williams Elite Dallas Park Cities
972-949-4222
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
http://BrianRayl.com
Web Reference: http://BrianRayl.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 30, 2011
Hi Brian,

What if it is the other way around. I am moving out and my landlord is now telling me that I have to have the carpets professionally cleaned. This is not written in the lease nor were the carpets professionally cleaned when we moved in. He has held part of my deposit because I did not get all of the carpets professionally cleaned. I only got the carpets that were stained professionally cleaned. Can he legally do this?
Flag Wed Jul 31, 2013
this question from a PM ?? I would assume PM is the expert in this area, No ?

Any way, if you require the house to be professionally cleaned then upon moving out, you will be also required to return the house in the same condition as first rented (paying for professionally cleaned). Cleaned effectively is a vague word, not enforceable in my opinion. You have to spell out water temperature, chemical, vacuum power , drying time etc to meet your specifications.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 29, 2011
When it comes to any laws or legal advice for that matter, it's always best to consult with an attorney...