Rental Basics in Minneapolis>Question Details

pinklloyd00, Renter in Minneapolis, MN

is an oral agreement to rent a room upheld in court?

Asked by pinklloyd00, Minneapolis, MN Sun Aug 26, 2012

Answers

6
Minneapolis has a landlord/tenant hotline that can help you with this question. They have attorneys on site that can offer free consultations. Call 311 for more information.
Sure, but, court should be the last resort, not the first choice. In court, you never know who is going to say what. You seldom know what the judge is really thinking about who is "right" and who is "wrong".

There isn't a case that can't be won, but...there also isn't a case that can't be lost. If you can reach an agreement to settle your differences without going to court, you can better control the outcome. Try to work it out, and remember to be reasonable...and "give" a little.

Going to court and getting a judgment doesn't mean you'll ever get a dime, some people have little to lose and you can't get blood from turnips. I'm not a fan of giving an overworked judge a chance of messing things up....I'd rather settle out of court.
Verbal contracts are legal in Minnesota but often it comes down to the word of one party over another. So if you're planning on forcing the issue in court, it's best to have a witness(es) that can corroborate your version of events.
My colleagues are awesome! They are right, MN law does allow verbal contracts in real estate and they are enforceable. Mark's website will be great for you, and all of us wish you well. I think it is always wise to get purchase or rental agreements and other contracts as well in writing. It lets both parties spell out the rules and the rent and the term and know exactly what responsibilities they are taking on with the agreement. Liz, 612-986-4105
Yes, as long as it is for a term of less than a year
I do believe it is Pink. I am not an attorney, nor expert, but I am involved with this area of real estate as a tenant representative and also as a property manager. If the place you are talking about has less than 12 units, they are not required by law to have a written lease agreement. And a verbal agreement will hold up in court easily enough. So if someone made a verbal commitment to rent you a room - let's say in a large house - for $450 a month....and then backed out or changed the rent on you......I believe they have an issue with you.

Two things for you, Pink.

One, here is a link to the Minnesota statute that governs all of this: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=504B

Two, if you want to jump on my website below and shoot me a quick email, I will send you a copy of the booklet put out by the Minnesotat Attorney General's office called "Landlords and Tenants: Rights and Responsibilities".

I hope this helps you,

Mark