Rental Basics in Lorain>Question Details

Moerod, Renter in Cleveland, OH

in ohio how long do I have as previus renter to get my deposit back?

Asked by Moerod, Cleveland, OH Wed Jun 22, 2011

Answers

4
Hi Moerod, You could send the pictures to your email so you can have access to them; if the hard copies get lost.
JAMES IS CORRECT !!! IF YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM A FORWARDING ADDRESS AND YOU DO NOT RECEIVE AN ITEMIZED LIST AND/OR RETURN OF DEPOSIT IN 30 DAYS I WOULD FILE A SMALL CLAIMS CASE TO HAVE IT AND IN SOME AREAS 2X THE DEPOSIT RETURNED . I ADVISE ALL RENTERS TO TAKE PICS OF THE PROPERTY WHEN YOU MOVE IN AND SEND A CERTIFIED LIST OF ALL ISSUES TO THE LANDLORD . THEN KEEP A COPY OF THE LETTER AND PICS IN MULTIPLE PLACES . THEN DO THE SAME WHEN YOU MOVE OUT . I ADVISE MULTIPLE COPIES IN DIFFERENT PLACES AS MY SISTER LOST ALL OF HER PICS IN A COMPUTER MISHAP AND THE LANDLORD IS SUING HER FOR DAMAGES THAT NEVER WERE THERE .
You have not that long til u get your previous deposit back
Ohio Revised code section 5321.05 a landlord has 30 days. However you also must comply with the law. You are required to provide the former landlord with your forwarding address. Did you do that? If not the landlord may be waiting for that. A complete itemized list of deductions from the original deposit is required by the landlord. Hope this helps you.