Rental Basics in 33132>Question Details

Christinaiup, Other/Just Looking in 33132

i recently rented from a woman who converted her garage to an efficiency. She was very difficult when it came

Asked by Christinaiup, 33132 Thu May 21, 2009

to paying my rent. It had to be in cash. No check or money order. this made me think that perhaps she had converted her garage illegally(maybe??) and is pocketing the money and not reporting it to the irs. Is there anyway to find out of this is the case? And if so, how can i report it?

Answers

2
Travelguyhi - great response and advice! You covered it all.

Christina - there os a good chance the conversion was done without permits. If you really wanted to find out, you could go to the building inspector's office in your town, and pull up records for the house to see if permits were pulled.

My question is, why do you want to report it? Unless you are fearful that the wiring might be faulty, or there is some hazard.........if you like living there..........then continue to do so.
.As far as what your landlord does with the IRS and reporting the rental as income, it's her issue, not yours.....and as long as you have proof for your payments, you are covered.

Did the landlord do something to annoy you?

Oh..........I just noticed you asked this back in May! What did you wind up doing?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 22, 2010
Most likely the landlord is not reporting this income. For your sake get a receipt for each month's rent paid. If the landlord will not provide the receipt then what you should do is withdraw the money each month for your rent at one time from your bank account. By withdrawing your rent you can show a record of steady payments in the case of any dispute arising. The best way would be to write and cash a check to yourself labeling it "Rent - March 2010".

As far as reporting whether it is an illegal rental or not I cannot say. But if you like the apartment and paying the rent is the only issue I would not bother.