Rental Basics in Queens>Question Details

John  Shaft, Renter in Queens, NY

i have no lease do i get a grace period when paying the rent??i live in a prvate 3 family house

Asked by John Shaft, Queens, NY Sat Aug 14, 2010

Answers

6
What is the grace period for New York City queens and I have no lease
It all depends, usually I have seen there are 10days grace period. But you need to check with your landlord about this.
I disagree. Most states have mandatory grace periods. Even in Wyoming, which has few tenant - landlord laws, we are required to give tenants a 3-day grace period. The landlord can extend this grace period, but not shorten it. So if rent is due on the first, I have to give the tenant an additional three days to pay, which gives them until the fourth of each month. This is extended if the first of the month falls on a holiday or weekend.

You need to do three things:
1. Learn your state and local laws before you do anything about a late payment.
2. Slap yourself for not having a lease agreement.
3. Create a lease agreement!
I have to agree with the bottom two...Grace periods are something set by the landlord. If you are late, explain the situation nicely.

Best of Luck!!
You should ask the landlord the question--if you have been there awhile follow your prior protocol--did you have a lease, if so, your tenancy is based upon the frequency of your rental payments under the old lease.
Sounds like you are aware that usually this is defined in a lease. If no grace period is established, rent is legally due on the 1st of the month. If a late fee was written in your lease, you would be charged a late fee for not paying the rent on time.