Purplepeople…, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

how to go about evicting for a garage storage rental?

Asked by Purplepeopleeater, Philadelphia, PA Thu Oct 13, 2011

i rented out my garage and the person hasn't paid me for 6 months plus 2 bounced checks plus fees. how do i go about eviction?

Answers

7
Call glen Ross 2156437200
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011
First have a paper trail showing the bounced checks and fees. If you have some kind of written agreement all the better. Regardless, padlock the door for 30 days. If he doesn't try to get to his belongings or contact you, get rid of the stuff and move on. Just make sure you show that you were trying to contact him either with multiple phone calls, texts, emails and even letters. Whatever you have to do. Just make sure you have proof and kick him out!
That's a real tough situation mate. I agree with the rest of the comments here though, that if you don't have a legally enforcing document for this guy that's squatting and keeping his things in storage in your garage, then you've got to think about whether you want to keep this person as a friend or not. Desperate times call for desperate measures and you'll just have to throw him out!
You could hire an attorney, a property manager, or you could read up on the laws. Do you have a verbal or written agreement? Is the term lease up?

If he doesn't pay you, there must be a legal way to change the opener, then notify the renter that they have xx days (e.g., 30 days, depending on your local law) to pay you all the money you owe or their property will be donated or thrown away.

I recommend reading up on your local laws or hiring an attorney.

Mark Fleysher

http://www.jackconleyrealty.com
you may wish to consult and attorney. do you have a lease? you can also deal with landlord tenant court on 11th st.
Do you have a license to rent and are you paying the taxes on the incomes to the city? The sheriff's office will ask you these questions before they will assist you. Also do you have a contract with them that includes the amount and the length of time allowed? It can be complicated. You can start by sending a certified letter with a stated time, like you have 15 days to remove your articles before I put them in the trash. The storage rental businesses post ads that state the contents are to be sold - maybe another way??? I would call him and tell him and then throw it out. OR if you know where they live, deliver it to them. If's it a car, there are places that accept scrap cars. but you might need the title. You've got homework to do
Call your local Town Offices. They can walk you through the process, which can be very lengthy. Don't delay, most towns only serve eviction notices on certain days of the month & there are deadlines to file.
The Marie Souza Team – Top Selling on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Real Estate Services
508-790-2000
info@mariesouzateam.com