Rental Basics in 91324>Question Details

Cbrillo, Home Owner in Thousand Oaks, CA

how much security deposit is standard on a home? I have heard two months rent.

Asked by Cbrillo, Thousand Oaks, CA Wed Jun 22, 2011

Answers

9
Just a quick note on charging more than two months rent in "deposits" - This is from the la times.

"Move-in fees and deposits go by several names and all have a part to play. However, no matter what term is used by the landlord, such as "cleaning deposit," "key deposit," "pet deposit" or even "last month's rent," the law considers all money taken as the same thing--security deposit. While there is no minimum deposit amount set by law, California state law defines maximum security deposit and couches the specifics based on furnishings."

"Unfurnished rentals have a set limit that cannot exceed two months' worth of rent. For example, if your rent is $1,000 a month, the maximum security deposit you can be asked to pay for an unfurnished place is $2,000. At move-in, your cost could be $3,000 total (deposit plus rent for the first month)."

"What if your landlord refuses to rent to you and your beloved dog unless you pay a separate "pet deposit"? Can you sign a pet deposit agreement on the side and pay a little extra deposit for the varmint? Yes and no."

"Yes, you can sign whatever you find palatable as a consenting adult, but not if your legal rights are violated or breached in any way. No, you can't sign away a legal right in the state of California. The pet deposit still has to be within the legal security deposit limit, even if both landlord and tenant agree to a higher amount."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
Two months deposit sometimes more if you have animals. You can also try and negotiate the amount.
As a home owner looking to rent I am sure you have heard two months rent, this is not the norm. The norm is to get 1st month last month and security, security being on average about a month's rent in value but as high as 125%of a months rent, depending on other items like pet deposit or fee!
Kobi, Can you give me the exact code on that?
It is usually 1 month however I have seen 2 months’ rent stated on listings sheets.
Generally, first month's rent and a security equal to one month's rent. It is illegal, to take deposit and first and last.
Web Reference: http://www.KobiCosta.com
I require first/last plus refundable security/cleaning deposit. Believe me, in most cases the cleaning deposit is well worth it.
Hi, I think one month is standard and two months for special cases, such as pets or risky finances.

Chris
The deposit amount is up to the property owner, but for an unfurnished home it may not exceed two months rent. If the home is furnished, then the deposit may not exceed three months rent. To cover additional expenses from potential damage, landlords will sometimes charge an additional amount if you plan to have pets, or a deposit for keys.