Rental Basics in 95835>Question Details

Hamyhargar, Other/Just Looking in

how do i verify ownership of a home i am looking to rent?

Asked by Hamyhargar, Thu Jan 12, 2012

Answers

11
Kylee Roe’s answer
Any Realtor can help you if they are willing. Send me the address of the property, and I can try to help you. Also, i can look up the address and see if it is on the Metrolist as a home for sale (possible to be on MLS and no sign on the property).

Kylee

http://www.sacramentorealtor.info
Ownership is public record. Assuming you want to look in Sacramento County follow these directions...

Due to privacy concerns contained in Government Code Section 6254.21, ownership information is not available on-line. It may be obtained by calling (916) 875-0700, or by visiting the Assessor's Office at 3701 Power Inn Road, Suite 3000, in Sacramento.

Greg
The answer is you go to the County Recorder's office and look it up. But you can also ask a real estate agent to verify it for you. Even if you find the owner's name, though, it won't tell you if the person you are handing that cash to is the actual owner. There are many rental scams in Sacramento right now. If the rent sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Elizabeth Weintraub
Broker-Associate #00697006
Lyon Real Estate
It is public information in the county tax records. If you know a real estate professional, they can look it up for you via tax records as well.

When renting, I always recommend veryfying ownership and no foreclosure trouble via the tax record.

Hope that helps,

Keisha Mathews
Send me a message with the complete info, address and who you think the owner is and I will verify it for you

Dot Chance, Realtor®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
DRE License #01494182
Keller Williams Realty World Media Center
http://www.DotChance.com
818.339.7712

WHEN YOU THINK OF REAL ESTATE...Think DotChance.com! My business thrives from your referrals!
Check the County Register of Deeds site or the GIS site for this information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 12, 2012
To get an owner's name check local public records, or tax records; thereafter one would need to ask the owner to show some forms of identification, before moving forward.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 12, 2012
Elizabeth is right. There are literally thousands of rent scammers preying on people looking for a good deal.
You would be wise to verify the identity of the person collecting the rent money. I am a landlord, I do not mind it at all, if my new tenants want to see my photo ID, copy of my ownership papers, etc. In fact I would be impressed if a tenant asked for this as it would show that they are conscientious about protecting themselves, they will probably be conscientious about caring for my property that I am about to entrust to them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 12, 2012
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Your Realtor should do that for you!
You've heard it over and over. There is a county office in Fair Oaks and one in Sacramento. If you are near teh 95835 area, I'd suggest you go over to the county recorder's office at 600 8th Street , right across from the jury parking for the county courthouse. you can go there to see the records related to the ownership.

You can get not only the name but any recordings for foreclosure or other records relative to the ownership. If the person asking for payments is not the name of the owner, ask them for written documentation of their authority to collect rents. And yes, you can see if the home is listed for sale by asking a realtor, or checking online.

I've had listings where, overnight, someone changed the lock on the door of a vacant home. Of course they would expect it to be corrected soon, but during the lapse, they could get some unforeseeing tenant prospect to hand them a rental deposit and first month's rent, only to learn that they had no rights to the property in the first place. And the 'landlord' is long gone with the tenant prospect's money.

I applaud you for checking!
Web Reference: http://www.suearcher.com
You're very wise to consult with the RE professionals on Trulia for this answer. So many folks don't ask questions and they ending up becoming a victim of a rental scam. All the answers below are spot on. Good luck.