Ronnel Smith, Renter in Chino Hills, CA

home for lease in the Rancho Cucamonga area owners are claiming to be out of town, how can i be sure this is legit?

Asked by Ronnel Smith, Chino Hills, CA Tue Jul 30, 2013

Answers

7
I just found a scammer who claims to have recently moved to the UK for his job as a welder on a Naval ship. My husband retired 25 years Navy, and actually works with shipbuilder's here as a Project Manager/Logistician. Bottom line is, I inquired and got a message saying basically to send the money (a low amount for the area) and they will send the keys. A quick search of the property shows it recently sold In May 2013, and is actually for rent for double the amount with an agent. If it sounds too good to be true it is.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
I actually flagged the listing as it was fraudulent. I sent an inquiry as well and got the same lie about working in the UK for BAE systems as a ship welder. Well I asked who was taking care of the yardwork and they responded telling me the house was "mine because I seem honest"...I knew it was the Nigerians immediately. Be careful because they will take your info you provide them and use your name on the next lie to the next person.
Flag Thu Sep 12, 2013
Be very careful. There are a lot of rental scams with so called "Out of Town" landlords.
There are many scams out there. Feel free to contact me and I will check the assessors tax roll for you to see who indeed is the owner of the property. No worries, Free of charge.
You need to get as much information as you can like full name phone number, and check the house record if you don't have access let your real estate agent do that. Good luck.
How did you find this house?

Jason Khorramian
Century 21 Gold
I found the house on the Trulia web site and it was taken off the next day
Flag Tue Jul 30, 2013
Trulia web site
Flag Tue Jul 30, 2013
Talking to the neighbors is a good idea but I would check with your REALTOR® he can pull additional information (ie. NOD) and help you verify the true ownership, maybe even a mailing address. Once you have the true owner call the utility company and request them to verify the information you have. Good luck!

If it feels wrong – Buyer/Tenant beware!

If you have questions please do not hesitate to call me!

John L Johnson II
CA DRE Broker Lic# 01312900
REALTOR®
J-N-J Real Estate Services, Inc.
8560 Vineyard Ave. #404
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
(909) 224-2091
Sales – Leasing – Property Management
http://www.jnjres.com
I would suggest talking to the neighbors and you could also request some type of proof from the owners. Such as a copy of a utility bill showing that they are in fact the owners of the property.