Rental Basics in 34609>Question Details

Judy, Other/Just Looking in 34609

hi i have a lease that expires on june and i am a single mother of 3 my job is about to end april 15th and the landlord is short selling the house?

Asked by Judy, 34609 Mon Mar 29, 2010

What can i do? can i still live there until lease is over? do i have to move wen the house sells?

Answers

2
Judy,

You must continue to pay rent or the owner can (and probably will) file an eviction notice. I see it happen all the time on short sale rentals. Some unethical owners collect the rents and never pay the lender and just pocket the money. Other owners do make their mortgage payments so I don't want to say your landlord is one of the sleazy ones.

As long as you continue to make your mortgage payments you can stay. You will probably have to allow the place to be shown to prospective buyers. The short sale can get approved as soon as a few months but I believe you are able to stay until your lease expires--as long as you continue making your rental payments.
If the owner of the house is trying to short sell the house there is a VERY good chance that no way in heck it will go under contract and actually close before June. Even if it did you have rights as a tenant. Is there a provision in your lease that deals with the selling of the property? I would plan on staying put at least until the the lease expires..keep paying your rent until then.

Jason Stevens,GRI,ABR
Kevin Flynn Realty, Inc.
email: jasonstevens@embarqmail.com