Rental Basics in Portland>Question Details

ge.oh, Renter in Portland, OR

does mold have to be reported by a contractor once he finds it in a home?

Asked by ge.oh, Portland, OR Thu Apr 25, 2013

i rented a house unknown of exiting mold. can i break the contract, asthma health issues and a newborn live here.

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3063140239-9925-SW-82nd-Ave-P…

Answers

3
A contractor in Oregon does not have a duty to report mold issues to anyone in particular. As far as breaking your lease, you should first become familier with ORS 90, landlord/Tenant rights and responsibilities. Specifically ORS 90.730. Here is the link to the State statute.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/090.html

Mold is not part of the requirements, however this wouldn't prohibit you from putting the Landlord on notice that Mold in your home is becoming a health problem. Then you will see where they stand.

I can not provide Legal advice, therefore this is merely a starting place for you to begin your research. If you would like further advice I suggest you contact a Real Estate Attorney.
I do not believe I contractor has the duty to disclose. In addition, the contractor may not be qualified to recognize mold. About the contract with the landlord. That type of question is best handled by consulting an attorney....that is what I would recommend
I don't believe there are any laws requiring this and a contractor may not know if the black stuff is mold or not. Most people guess that all black stuff is mold which is totally INCORRECT. Mildew is very commonly, and incorrectly, identified as mold which it is not. Big difference.