Rental Basics in Lutz>Question Details

Geetaogale, Home Buyer in Lutz, FL

does florida state allow a real estate agent to sign a 3 year lease on behalf of the landlord?

Asked by Geetaogale, Lutz, FL Sun Jun 3, 2012

Answers

4
With a power of attorney you can sign on behalf of the landlord. I also believe that the representation to lease property has a section in the beginning that covers this as well but don't do anything without a power of attorney. However residential leases in Florida can only be for 1 year. You may have renewals and automatic renewals but the original lease can only be annual. So yes and no regarding your question.

Whether you should sign for a landlord is not suggested unless absolutely necessary. i.e. deployed military or strong business association.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 3, 2012
Hi Lisa, Do you have anymore information regarding the lease being no more than annual? Such as status? My ex sign a lease for 3 years in Gainesville and she was transferred to another location for her job and now has to move. Would this lease be null and voided? Thank you
Flag Fri Apr 8, 2016
No matter what state you are in one may not sign on behalf of anyone unless they have a "power of attorney" or other similar type form granting and allowing them to do so. If you have a legal question about a form you should ask an attorney about specific state or federal laws.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 3, 2012
There are 2 separate issues here. The first concerns leases of more than one year. They CAN be longer, but two witnesses are required for residential leases of more than 12 months. Two years is ok, I wouldn't recommend 3 for a variety of reasons. The second issue is with regards to the Power of Attorney (POA). For a real estate agent to sign on behalf of a landlord (owner) there must be a Florida POA form completed by the owner(s). This form also requires TWO witnesses for each owner and the entire document must then be signed off on by a Notary Public. So the overall answer is likely yes, provided you know what you're doing!~
I think you mean "complete" a lease "fill in the blanks" approved form with a duration of greater than one year.

I'm not sure if the State of Florida would restrict residential leases to only one year (if prepared by an attorney) but it is true that a Realtor can only use the "approved" fill in the blank lease form and it cannot exceed one year, take a look at the Florida Supreme Court Ruling:

http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/flsupct/77675/op-77675.pdf

Oh and if this is about a Short Sale and with the highly unusual long lease in Lutz, I actually asked the tenant if his Realtor completed the lease agreement and he said no it was prepared by the Law Firm that is also charging fee to the buyer to "negotiate" the short sale. Yet another reason not to waste time with a non-approved Short Sale...too many things can go wrong "before" it ever gets approved to sell.

Alma Kee
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Thank you. I am looking for confirmation that as a Realtor I can "fill in the blanks" on a Florida Association of Realtros approved lease and sign as the landlord without power of attorney from the owner. And the lease is max 1 year.
thanks
Flag Thu Mar 10, 2016
Looking to rent a apartment in FLA for my tenant 1 year does anyone have a old lease i can look at to see how it is filled out? Thanks so much
Flag Fri Nov 15, 2013