Rental Basics in Yuba City>Question Details

Veronica, Home Buyer in Yuba City, CA

do you have to pay a deposit for a companion pet?

Asked by Veronica, Yuba City, CA Wed Dec 15, 2010

I have had my dog for 1 year now and i cannot bare to leave them behind. I know that in oregon it is against the law if a owner that is renting denies me because of the dog if i have a doctors prescription. But i do not know the law in california? I have a doctors prescription for one.

Answers

3
I have a companion dog due to my emotional state. I was told by landlords, as long as your doctor had written papers for your animal, it's against the law to charge any deposits. Doctor prescribed companion papers = NO DEPOSIT!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
I have really bad panic attacks my dog has helped me not get many he keeps me busy knowing when my attacks are going to come, i have a doctors note saying i can have a dog, still i had to pay full pet deposit.
Flag Sun Feb 2, 2014
From my understanding it is a federal law that protects service animals and their owners.

My understanding is that a landlord cannot charge a higher security deposit for an service animals because there is a risk that the animal will do damage to the property...just like they cannot charge a higher deposit for someone that uses a wheel chair because the landlord thinks the wheel chair will do more damage to his property.

But if service dog damages the property then the tenant will be responsible for the damage.
The pet deposit is a separate issue from the federal fair housing laws that protect the rights of the handicapped and their service animals with regard to housing.

The pet deposit is charged to cover additional expenses for cleaning and repairs caused by having pets in a home and is customary in most states.

Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers