Rental Basics in 02116>Question Details

Lady1, Home Owner in 02116

do i need to have a window in a bedroom of a house i am renting out?

Asked by Lady1, 02116 Sat Jul 7, 2012

Answers

12
John Becker’s answer
By the strict definition to call a room a bedroom, the room is required to have a window, closet and be at least 70 sq feet. Many people are looking for a separate space and will use the living room as bedroom, this would be called a split, when you can close the living room door( now bedroom) and create a space that others don't need to pass through to reach other room in the apartment.
it does not need a closet to be considered a bedroom.
Flag Tue Mar 10, 2015
In order to be considered a bedroom a room must have a window.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 8, 2012
Fire departments and code officials do not consider windows as a means of egress. A bedroom must have a source of natural light and ventilation. This is a basic life safety, health, and welfare requirement of all building codes in the US.
in order to be considered a bedroom it has to have two means of egress. Either two doors or a window that can be no more than 44 inches from the floor, it needs at least 5.7 square feet for the opening, and it must measure no less than 24 inches high and 20 inches wide
Technically no, but it depends on the layout of the unit
A bedroom needs to have a window in it. For your safety, make sure an apartment has appropriate safety exits. I am sure that every state and township may have their own guidelines regarding rentals. If you have any questions, I would call the Town that you are looking to rent in and check their requirements.
If you're advertising a 1 bedroom, then yes, it must have a window and a closet. It all depends on how you are defining the property's description. For example: a Loft space vs One Bedroom. A loft does not have to have any defined rooms but a one bedroom does. Hope this helps.
Mariana Galstian
My Boston Condo
Good Afternoon,

It is best too have a window on a 1 bedroom as majority of 1 bedrooms do have windows.
Hi Lady 1,
Yes, to be considered a room you need to have a window, door, heat source. I believe in Boston it needs to be a minimum of 8 X10 or the equivalent of 80 sq ft.
That is a great question!
Maureen Rossi
It surprised me when I was told that a bedroom does not need a window to meet building code. It does need to have a source of heat and a closet. Now the more important question might be - will your renter require that the bedroom has a window? That could have a different answer!
Technically, no. But it depends on the floor and where the room is situated.
Not necessarily but if it's in the basement then yes you do