Rental Basics in Lafayette>Question Details

Naznoosh, Renter in Lafayette, CA

can you break a rental agreement before the move-in date? if yes, does your landlord have a permission to call your children's school to let

Asked by Naznoosh, Lafayette, CA Tue Apr 10, 2012

them know we signed the paper before knowing that apt has some shower problem, they told us we have 2 days to call them and let them know if we want that, I called them 4 times and no answer,I left a message that I don't want the apt, but no answer again from them, then I called back but they said we were supposed to write down instead of call, but they never mentioned that, even after they called my son's school and told them that we cancel our rental agreement with them

Answers

1
You should consult an attorney or legal aid for a complete answer. If you signed a 1 year lease, you will have some liability. You can not just cancel a signed contract. The landlord is obligated to try to re-rent the apartment. You are obligated to pay for the loss rent during the time the property is not rented. It may take a month to find a new tenant. While it is mean for the landlord to call your child's school, it is not illegal, especially if you were moving to that address to get your child in to a particular school (and you told your landlord that information).
thanks for your response, but the only think is, there was some problem with the apt,then she told me to call her to let her know even I want the apt or not,and I called to tell her ,but no response from her. in that case do I have any rights or no? thanks for you time
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012