Rental Basics in 60517>Question Details

Ssd Renter, Renter in 60517

5 months security deposit, this seems wrong

Asked by Ssd Renter, 60517 Mon May 7, 2012

Add details about your quesI applied to rent this one bedroom apartment in Darien with the landlord knowing I am on social security disability he was asking for 5 months security deposit plus my first months rent. I could understand 2-3 months, but 5, isn't that wrong? How is someone on SSD so post to come up with money like that?tion (optional)

Answers

3
Owners can request whatever they like but I do agree that 5 months security deposit is unusual and unreasonable. How is your credit? I have worked with clients whose credit is low and they have had to pay a higher deposit but never 5 months. Good luck!
5 months is absolutely outrageous. I would ask them for a reason why they are asking for that much and is it posted somewhere or are they just quoting that to you. Fair Housing regarding source of income does not apply as a protected class in DuPage County as in Cook County, but disability is a protected class, so you would need to check with an attorney or government fair housing agency about your rights and if they are being trampled in this case. All situations are different and I would advise you to speak to someone about this. See brochure link for information and contact.

Also, if this landlord is not working with a Realtor, if they do not own several rental units, or if they did not advertise in the newspaper, fair housing may not apply at all Ask an attorney or the housing agency about this information.

If they are just a nervous accidental landlord, then they should not rent if they are that uncertain. But maybe there is a way you can pay extra each month or pay more on rent, if you really want it.

I think 5 months "security" is outrageous!

Did the landlord tell you why he is asking for so much? Is he asking that amount from everyone, or just you?

Check with a local agent or attorney to see what the landlord/tenant laws are in your state........in NJ, for example, a landlord is limited to collecting 1.5 months as security...nothing more.....and no pre-paid rent, either (other than the first month in advance).

Find out what is allowed where you are.

Best wishes........