Rental Basics in Austin>Question Details

Misslyn, Home Buyer in Florida

Young couple looking to relocate to Austin area. Any suggestions? We both work from home but want to be 20 min to beach/ outdoor activities/downtown

Asked by Misslyn, Florida Thu Mar 25, 2010

Also any suggestions on rental companies, since we will be renting at first would be helpful

Answers

19
Hi, I am not sure if some of the realtors answering the questions know Austin very well. It is exactly 3 miles from my front door to the capitol building downtown. Driving, this takes me about 15 minutes to get there. Austin traffic is horrific and not just during rush hour...it lasts all day. Just understand that to be 20 minutes to downtown means you literally have to already be living downtown.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 7, 2010
Hello and congratulations on your choice of moving to Austin. It is a wonderful city to live in and around. If you've read all these earlier answers you've begun to realize that you'll have to make some choices. Do you want to live the urban lifestyle of central Austin, or the suburban lifestyle of the surrounding communities. I've lived in just about every part of town in my 20 plus years of living here. One is not necessarily better than the other, but definitely different. I presently live in a wonderful old neighborhood just north of downtown and UT campus, Hyde Park. We love it; you can walk to everything you need and Lady Bird Lake is a short Bus/Bike ride away. Then there is south Austin where you have all the hip cool stuff happening in the Soco, Sola etc. areas. And of course there is the down town area for true urban living. If you like the suburban lifestyle you also have many choices north, south, east or west. My advice to you is come visit and have a realtor drive you all around town so you can decide which area suits you best. I would love to be that guy. Again, welcome to a great city!
I found Texas Apartment rebate to be helpful. I even got $200 back from them.
Dear Misslyn,
I have to agree with D'Ann about the traffic in and around Austin. I have lived here over 20 years and getting to Lake Travis is impossible in 20 minutes, its more like 30-45. The Lakeway police are very tough on speeders and you will get a ticket if you speed.

That said there are outdoor activities downtown: Zilker Park, Barton Springs Pool, Deep Eddy Pool, Fiesta Gardens, Austin City Limits Fest, South By southWest, Blues On The Green, etc. While there are running/biking trails around the lake and places to go canoe or kayaking, there is not a "beach" on Lake Austin. You would have to go up to Volente Beach on Lake Travis's north shore 45 minutes to an hour drive northwest of downtown Austin.

Most Realtors can help you with a lease. i often help clients find rentals when they relocate. This allows them to test drive a neighborhood and see if it is where they really want to buy a forever home. If you need help or want information on specific communities just let me know.
Betina
Prospect Real Estate Solutions, LLC/Team PRice
Hi Misslyn,

Which lifestyle do you want more on a frequent basis, "urban living" or a "lakeside"? Also, are you looking to buy or rent? It sounds like you're more of a lakeside lifestyle and if you are ok with a scenic 25 minute drive downtown then I would encourage you to look in Lakeway and the surrounding area.

Downtown is a lot of fun and has a lot to offer anyone seeking an active lifestyles but if you are working from home you may get more space and bang for your buck near the lake.

Hope this helps!

Scott Friedson
Hi Misslyn,

Hope this helps!

Scott Friedson
You can find several resort style rental properties with great incentives($99 deposit, 2 months free rent, etc.) off of 620, close to 2222. This location is 5 minutes to Lake Travis and 20 minutes or less to Downtown. This area also has great shopping such as The Domian (highend outdoor mall), close to all types of restaurants, HEB with great bakery/meat department (grocery), Lakeline Mall, Etc.

Your going to LOVE Austin!
Web Reference: http://www.TeamWestRE.com
Congratulations on your decision to move to Austin. I came here 33 years ago and never left. Truly a wonderful city. There are several neighborhoods that would fit your criteria. Prudential Real Estate is a leader in the city with many benefits for incoming clients including the Van Line Express program for those clients moving from out of state to Austin. You'll qualify for a 30-50% discount on your moving expense. Contact Emily Rawlings, one of our most personable agents at: emily.rawlings@prurealty.com or text her at
(512)529-1268. Welcome to Austin!
Misslyn,

You did not specify a price range for purchase or a monthly lease amount. Would you please provide those?
There is a company called Gables that has a number of apartment complexes in Central Austin. They are nice and they might be flexible with lease terms. Just google gables austin.
Suzier is right - the downtown traffic can be bad and it is difficult to be anywhere you are both 20 minutes from downtown and 20 minutes from outdoor activities. However, there are some areas right near downtown that might be perfect for you, because Austin does have Lady Bird Lake/Town Lake right in the middle of downtown. Zilker park, dog parks, run/walk trails, and canoeing are all available right in the middle of downtown.

There is a lot of new development downtown as well, so plenty of options for both rentals and purchases depending on your price range. Some people also did mention Lake Travis or the 620 area..while these are great areas, if you are looking to be near the social aspects of downtown, this is probably not your best bet.

I'd be happy to assist you with finding a rental. The great thing about using an agent to find your rental is that you are able to schedule many appointments in one day and it doesn't cost you anything! Agents are paid a locator fee by the landlord of the property you end up renting.
Hello Misslyn.

As a young couple (as my husband and I are) you'll probably be happiest in South or Southwest Austin. The area around 620 is very pretty and nice, but probably farther than you would like to really enjoy the many, many things that Austin has to offer. If you're outgoing and really want to take advantage of everything Austin has to offer take my advice. Almost all of my clients and friends in their 20's to 30's that don't have kids far prefer living in Central or South Austin as opposed to North. You'll have easy and quick access to the greenbelt to hike to places like Campbell's Hole, Sculpture Falls, Twin Falls, Gus Fruth, etc. And you'll probably only be 15 min. from downtown at the most living anywhere in South Austin. Shoot me an e-mail or give me a call, I live the lifestyle that it seems like you're intersted in.

Meghan Matta, Broker/Owner, ABR, SRS

The Groove Realty and Investments
Phone: 512.876.9159
Fax: 512.853.7150
E-Mail: Meghan@TheGrooveRealty.com
http://www.TheGrooveRealty.com

Become a Fan on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/TheGrooveRealtyAustin
Misslyn, That is a pretty name!!
Congrats on the relocating to the Austin area. WOW coming from Florida to Texas is a BIG but GREAT change. In saying that I believe that the FM620 area would be perfect for you! There are a lot of new and nice apartments and awesome homes. I would love to take you out and view the area, when ya’ll are in town, or I can also email you some information, if its more convenient for you!!
Good Luck!!
Jared West- Broker
Team West Real Estate
512-296-0669
Web Reference: http://www.teamwestre.com/
Welcome to Austin!

You Can Receive Priority Access To ALL New Listings in the Austin Texas MLS that Match Your Home Buying and/ or Renting Criteria by visiting: http://www.austinrealestateinsider.com/AustinTexasMLS.html.
Misslyn, I work with clients like you looking to rent at first and then purchase when they've decided where they want to be. Feel free to contact me and we can discuss your needs in more detail. My services are quite extensive and free to you as well!!
Joe Jarusinsky, REALTOR/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin (512)497-0105
(p.s. you can click on my name to the right to see my credentials, testimonials, etc. Hope to hear from you and I will do all I can to assist you!, Joe)
No matter where in Austin you live, you will highly likely be between 5-30 minutes from Downtown. That's the beauty of this great city! So much to offer, so close to your neighborhood.
In Austin, you may want to explore the neighborhoods and main Central areas and then decide which neighborhoods appeal to you the most, as they all have their unique qualities and attractions. It's such a great idea to rent first, so that you have plenty of time to explore your options.
Let me know if you would like some information and details. I can assist you with both renting and buying and I would love to help!
Marilen
(512) 569-7619
there are a couple beaches on Lake Austin and Lake Travis to enjoy.
sounds like you guys should definitely grab an apartment on RR 620, perfect for your 20 minute needs.
Austin is cool, funky, and fun. You will love it - has a University, hippie, earthy healthy kind of vibe. Lake Travis is right in the heart of it. There is the Oasis that is like a perch over the lake. There are many outdoorsy things to do. You will love it - thats all I can say - close to other fun places to go. 3 4 hours from Dallas - San Antonio is down toward the coast - The Alamo - The Riverwalk - Enjoy!
Misslyn,
My nephew just move to FL, Melborne area. Austin is not that close to the beach if you are talking about the Gulf. Best case form Austin is about 3 hours to Galveston. We have good lakes though. The beaches on the gulf, in my opinion are not to good until you get to South Padre island, which is about 6 hours away. Downtown is real cool with lots of clubs and live music. Drop me an email or call direct so I can learn a little more about what you need.

Bill Austin ~ baustin.realtor@gmail.com ~ 512-709-6343