Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Unspecified, Renter in

Would the 2012 w-2 be acceptable in lieu of the actual tax return from a guarantor for a rental?

Asked by Unspecified, Fri Feb 1, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Barbara Ann Rogers’ answer
Since the deadline for tax filing for 2012 isn't yet upon us, they'll probably ask for the 2012 W-2 and the 2011 tax return - but it should be only the first 2 pages if there's an acceptable W-2, not the full return.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 1, 2013
well Anna - I am glad you agreed with Gail!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 2, 2013
Depends, each landlord is different...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 2, 2013
Each landlord has their own individual requirements.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 1, 2013
I still don't get why agents repeat the exact thing someone else just said - especially when it's a simple response??
Flag Sat Feb 2, 2013
you won't have to sign anything - the landlord doesn't contact the IRS - you will just have to show proof of income - whatever the multiple of the rent is that the landlord requires.....

when I was the guarantor for my son, who was renting in Manhattan, I just had to show my previous year's tax this case the w2 should work..if in doubt - ask the landlord!

good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 1, 2013
That will be up to the lender, but probably. You'll also have to sign a 4506T form which will allow the lender to obtain an independent copy of your taxes directly from the IRS. Make sure that what you provide the lender matches up with your previous filings or you could have a surprise.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 1, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer