Rental Basics in 89148>Question Details

colleentucke…, Renter in 22060

Why was I denied a rental with OK credit and good rental history?

Asked by colleentucker32, 22060 Sat Jan 12, 2013

We are a military family that just relocated from Louisiana to Virginia and filled out an application for a rental. I asked prior to submitting and paying the fee if there where any other applicants and was told yes, two others but the were not strong candidates nor offered full asking price. I submitted the application offering full and waited 2 weeks. I called the listing agent who informed me that the rental went to another applicant. My husband is military and is given money for housing. We even agreed to do a direct deposit and yet we were told NO. The kicker is....Now the home is newly listed AGAIN and I was never called to see if we are still interested. I thought they went down the line of applicants, apparently not. We have never been late in rent EVER and my husband is 14 years in the military. Our credit is high 600's so I am feeling this might be a case of discrimination. Am I right and if so who do I contact?

Answers

2
Damon Botticelli’s answer
If your credit was run, you may be entitled to a formal denial letter stating the reason for the denial. Did you contact the listing agent AFTER you saw the house listed again to ask why you weren't accepted? It is possible that another application was accepted, but the applicant didn't follow through with deposits and/or lease signing. This could be a matter of incompetence vs discrimination. However,you should dig a little deeper and if you were discriminated against because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or familial status, then you should file a fair housing complaint.
There could be several reasons why.

Property managers will be looking at the following:

1) Rental history (no evictions or collections)
2) Credit (no collections on a utility bill....)
3) Background check
4) Income (should be 2.5-3 times the rent)

As an agent who helps about 200 people a year find rentals in Las Vegas, I personally don't want to deal with people who stack up applications.

It should be first come, first serve which is how most places operate out here.

Otherwise, what is to stop the property manager from collecting multiple application fees?

I would try to find out why you were denied.

It could be that there is something you are not aware of on your credit / background or it could be for reasons they just aren't telling you.

Either way, it's worth finding out.

Michael Wynn
Wynn Realty Group
702-523-3786
wynn66@hotmail.com
Thank you for your response. To answer your questions we have NEVER been evicted, A+ rental history, paid on time, never late.
We have no collections of utility bills of any kind.
Background checks are great. Never been convicted of any crimes or even know what jail looks like. Husband would not be in the military if that was the case.
And last but not least we make 3x's the amount and were going to be paying our rent direct deposit through the military finance office.
With everything positive I still don't understand why we were denied. I can add that I am a white woman married to an African American man and the demographics for said area is majority white. I have never been discriminated against but I am starting to question it.
Flag Sun Jan 13, 2013