Trulia Fort…, Other/Just Looking in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Who is responsible for “normal wear and tear” and how is it defined?

Asked by Trulia Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale, FL Tue Apr 9, 2013

Answers

3
Chad Gray’s answer
Trulia Fort Lauderdale,

Here is a great blog on Zillow about "normal wear and tear" that you might find helpful:
http://www.zillowblog.com/pro/2012-07-24/defining-normal-wea…

Please provide us with an update on your rental in Middle River Terrace!

Chad Gray PA, Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
754-300-6040

100% of clients rated our service as "EXCELLENT"!
http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/what-clients-are-saying/

.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
Normal wear and tear is the liability of the landlord, but anything outside of "normal" is tenant responsibility. As for what is "normal", that is open to interpretation, but common sense should be used here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 10, 2013
Keith is right: "normal wear and tear" can have many interpretations and sometimes can go to arbitration for definition: I once had a tenant who would shut all water faucets overly tight until he would eventually break all seals and have running water everywhere. I have repaired faucets many times until I finally presented him with a repair bill at which point he paid and the faucet leaks stopped.

I had one woman tenant who would dump her long hair, Bounty paper towels and cat litter in the toilet until it not only wouldn't flush but when clogged, she continued to flush the toilet thinking several flushes would eventually unclog it but instead it would flood over. Like, Duh! that is not wear and tear.

A friend rented his house that was newly remodeled including a fancy glass cooktop stove. The tenants ruined the glasstop because they would clean the glass top with comet or other strong cleaning détergents.

I think landlords should include a specific clause in their leases to specisically define "normal wear and tear".

Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of tenants think that their landlords are making money off them; therefore, they don't have to respect their landlords properties.