Rental Basics in 63104>Question Details

Keli Renee R…, Both Buyer and Seller in Saint Louis, MO

When renting a property,what are your major requirements besides employment?

Asked by Keli Renee Robinson, Saint Louis, MO Sun Feb 24, 2013

Should you also request police check?

Answers

8
I do. I advise my landlord clients to do a three pronged background check, credit history, eviction history and criminal history. It only costs $25 per person (I can give you the vendor I use if you contact me here on Trulia) and I find that anyone who cannot successfully pass the background check just goes away! I also get employment/income verification so we know they can afford to pay the rent, and references.

My landlords are very happy! I have rarely had a 'bad apple' get past all of that, not that it doesn't happen, it does, but it's rare.
You can do a background check, try to find service for free on http://google.com otherwise you will need to pay...
I am a landlord. I require my tenants to pay for a screening. It is $45 for individuals and $55 for married couples and is done by a third party. The screening covers income verification, debt to income ratio, credit score, and prior rental history. But more importantly, I think the best form of screening I have is meeting the potential client and talking to them. You'd be surprised by how much a stranger will tell you once you get them talking. I think I have a good judge of character and that has put some tenants into my places that look terrible on paper, but turn out to be great tenants.
Recently, many realtors are requiring RENTAL INSURANCE as a requirement before the apartment can be rented out. Its just pennies a day. I heard JONATHAN BELL is a pretty good agent and hes with FARMERS INSURANCE . You can contact JOHN at ejonathanbell@gmail.com or at his farmers address jbell4@farmersagent.com
It's a personal choice but safety is always good. Call a realtorm, you'll be happy you did!
Hi Keli Renee, they are all correct. It all depends on the individual but the majority of them work under the same principal. Building your credit not only help in homeownership but renters are looking for the same type of credit. If I can be of service contract me through Trula or call 314.304.3324
In the st louis area, landlords typically ask for a list and phone numbers for all previous addresses - note if they arent a good tenant the current landlord may not tell you cause he wants them
Gone but an earlier landlord will. Some landlords ask the tenant to get background check in themselves from local police dept (highway patrol is better they pull the state not the municipality) - but if they just moved to the state nothing may show from previous state so some landlords will use a service that will check further (teants are asked for a nonrefundable application fee to pay for it). Most will ask for a credit report - they will typically accept the persons yearly free one or they will have the background company run it. Other lanlords use their gut and ask nothing more than rents and deposits
Hi Keil,

Traditionally, landlords have considered credit status and previous rental history along with employment to determine if a prospective tenant could afford the rent and established a track record of responsibility. More recently, some landlords have added criminal background checks to their screening process.

Jane Quartuccio
RE/MAX Results