Elamarilyn, Home Buyer in Pacoima, CA

When renting a house should the owner pay the utilities or do the tenants pay?

Asked by Elamarilyn, Pacoima, CA Fri Oct 19, 2012

Me and my family are renting a house in rowland heights ca for about 8months now And we currently pay for all the utilities. I heard that the owner should be paying for some of the utilities. Is this true?

Answers

5
Hi, Typically the tenant pays for their utilities but there are cases when the landlord does. I think it's better the tenant does because tyou don't know how much they are going to use.

Chris

As an agent and property manager I rent houses often. Most of the time the tenant will pay for gas, electricity, water/sewer, and trash. The owner generally keeps on paying for the gardener to guarantee the lawn is maintained. In cases where the house is priced high and it is not renting, you can drop the price or offer to pay gas or electricity.

When an owner pays a utility bill I have found that it is generally higher than when a tenant pays the bill. The tenant is has more of an awareness and interest in keeping the costs down when they are ultimately footing the bill.

If your current lease does not require your tenants to pay the utilities, I don't think there is too much you can do this time around.

Jessica Acker
Wellman Realty Company
310-828-3132
Is the landlord using the utilities or you?
the party using the utilities pays the utilities.

On rare occasions, a landlord will pay some utilities.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomes.biz
http://www.socalhomes.biz
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
I agree with Skip. Very seldom does the landlord pay utilities, since they would have no control over how much electricity, water or gas you use.
The bottom line, of course, is what you agreed to in the lease.
It is the norm that the tenant pay for all utilities. Items like lawn or pool maintanence are often paid by the landlord.