Rental Basics in 90806>Question Details

Van, Renter in Heritage Lakes 317,...

What's owner's right to enforce "Pay or Quit" to kick out a tenant

Asked by Van, Heritage Lakes 317, Fort Myers, FL Thu Aug 18, 2011

I'm owner of a condo in LA , CA. It's my principal residence and I 'am renting out bedrooms to roomates. I had to notify "Pay or Quit" to one roomate has not paid his rent for three months, but without success.
What action Can I take that is legal to enforce the notice and kick the roomate out. Call the police? Change locks ?

Help the community by answering this question:


About 24 years ago I tried to process my own eviction, save the $500 right. No, find someone who knows how to do that and pay them to do the eviction. Do not cut out any services, lock any doors etc. without court approval. You may be the one who gets sued.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 17, 2011
As others have so aptly stated there is a legal protocol that you need to follow by the letter or you could end up in a very messy and costly situation. As a landlord, I can tell you that it's a very unpleasant situation; especially when it;s your own home. But please keep your cool and a smile on your face and just go through the motions.

I'm not big on retaining attorneys for things that I can do on my own. There are online sources you can appeal to i.e. Or call Bill Handle, host of Saturday Morning's KFI AM 640's "Handle On The Law" I listen to him often and have even reached out to him a time or two. He gives very good "FREE" legal advice on matters like this. If your to shy tl call a radio station just listen to him any Saturday Morning and I'd bet dollars to donuts that this topic would come up at least once.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 19, 2011
The Police will not come out until they receive a "Lock Out" order from the courts. Do not change the locks, as you would probably be infringing on the tenant's right. Do not harass him. Do not shut off his utilities or limit his use and quiet enjoyment of your beautiful home. These things can get you in legal trouble.

As you have been advised, contact an eviction service or attorney. This is a very standardized process, but must be done correctly. Remember you will get what you pay for.

You should get awarded the back rent and eviction fees, assuming you win. But that doesn't guarantee that he will pay.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 18, 2011
A 3 day pay or quit starts the clock. You cannot legally proceed with the eviction until you serve them. The process requires a lot of forms and legal issues. I recommend that you pay a service company like The Eviction Center. They charge a flat fee of about $500 to go through the process. Normally takes about 30-45 days before the sheriff shows up and kicks them out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 18, 2011
Contact an attorney who specializes in evictions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 18, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer