Question Details

Curt3006, Home Buyer in 91360

What's an average rental referral lead worth?

Asked by Curt3006, 91360 Mon Aug 15, 2011

I tend to have a knack for finding quality renters.. I was wondering if I could start a part time job referring them to apartment complexes and such. Just curious as to what the average rate is for a qualified lead?

Answers

2
Do you have your real estate license? Do you know what the rules are in California regarding renters? In New Jersey, unless you work for an owner, you have to be a licensed real estate professional to get a 'referral' on a tenant. You don't say how you find these quality renters. Are you a landlord yourself? Do you work for one?

The other thing is this, in New Jersey, you can make a pretty good living working rentals. While all real estate commissions are negotiable, typically they run between 1 month's rent and 10% of the lease for a rental. Compared to a sale the transaction is fast and easy, no attorney review, no home inspection, no mortgage commitment. I am closing at least two myself this month. I do rentals to supplement my regular home selling business and it pays off.

If you have your real estate license, or are considering getting your license, you may want to consider rentals as a vital part of your real estate business.
The problem is the phrase "qualified lead" - unless the person turns into a client, it may not be worth very much. For example, if rents are $500 and someone's willing to give 1%, that's $5. However, you may try calling a few rental agents or people with ads for rentals and ask how much they'd pay. Good luck.